none
Protection Policy doesn't always get the data RRS feed

• Question

• I have several XP SP3 clients with the DPM agent running smoothly, however as I audit these systems I find, on occasion, that the client might ignore the policy. For instance I have a policy that simply grabs My Documents,  Desktop and Favorites, and the My Documents will get skipped.  In fact it only ever seems to be the My Documents folder that I have trouble with. I'm sure it has something to do with an environment variable or %HOME% setting or registry setting for the user, but I just can't track it down.  I've even asked the user to manually specifify the folder and it still get's skipped. I know the policy is ok, because all of my XP clients are in the same Protection group. The problem has to be on the machine, relative either to the user presence there or the machine itself. I just can't nail it down.

PS: Because I've found this problem I've been going back and reviewing each client on a regular basis for the data-capture. This is time consuming. Is there any way to script the audit process to make sure I don't have other clients skipping this crucial directory?

-Josh

IT Operations Manager
    Monday, March 7, 2011 5:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, have you checked the company policy on the DPM client UI and in the PSDataSourceConfig.xml file located on the client at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources?You may also want to look at the DPMClientProtectionCurr.errlog.

Thanks,

Marc

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Yes. I tried modifying the XML file to manually include the "my documents" folder of the user whose data was missing. For some reason, the workstation ignored the server policy and excluded "my documents," evident in the psdatasourceconfig.xml file.

After modifying/saving and then rerunning the synchronization and recover point, i was still unable to target the correct path.

Does the workstation need to be rebooted?

Are there any other variables on the workstation that might prevent correct targetting of data per our server policy?

-Josh

IT Operations Manager
    Monday, August 8, 2011 4:27 PM
  • housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:32 PM