modify the BackEnd SQL RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

In our environment, we have 2 edge server, 3 Front End and 1 Persistent Chat Server. and 1 Back End SQL server.

recently, we want to make our back end HA, so we created a AlwaysOn group for the back end sql server .

now, next step it's moving the SQL connection from the original back end server to the always on address...

but , I did try find some help on web, but got no luck....

can you help me out , thank you so much!

• Edited by Jerry So Tuesday, November 20, 2018 7:12 AM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 6:56 AM

Answers

• I believe you have single Enterprise Front-end pool with 3 nodes.

Starting from Lync Server 2010 till the current version - Skype for Business 2019 software has the CMS role running which stores the topology, policy and configuration information. And By design, this server role does not allow you to alter the back-end database that is used by the Central Management store until you move this role to a new pool.

In this case, you need to setup a temproary Standard Edition server to move the CMS and to make a changes at topology for SQL backend.

The document in the below gallery article will help you here

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Change-Skype-for-Business-9e6a1749

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Proposed as answer by Neeranjan Shettar Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jerry So Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:14 AM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:25 PM

All replies

• I believe you have single Enterprise Front-end pool with 3 nodes.

Starting from Lync Server 2010 till the current version - Skype for Business 2019 software has the CMS role running which stores the topology, policy and configuration information. And By design, this server role does not allow you to alter the back-end database that is used by the Central Management store until you move this role to a new pool.

In this case, you need to setup a temproary Standard Edition server to move the CMS and to make a changes at topology for SQL backend.

The document in the below gallery article will help you here

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Change-Skype-for-Business-9e6a1749

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Proposed as answer by Neeranjan Shettar Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:25 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:25 PM
  • thanks for your reply, that document i saw before, it's too complicate...

is there any way I can only change some setting such like db connection string or something...?

:)

• Unmarked as answer by Jerry So Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:14 AM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 2:06 AM
  • Hi Jerry So,

Agree with Neeranjan Shettar. As you have deployed the enterprise pool and need to do HA for the back end server, you need to deploy a temporary SE server for the CMS moving as Neeranjan said. The steps Neeranjan provided are detailed, you could try to do.

In addition, you could also read this blog and do some references: Deploying SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Group for Skype for Business Server 2015.   

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 2:16 AM
  • Hi Jerry So,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, November 23, 2018 9:28 AM