WSUS Management Console freezing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I have one server with Windows Server 2016 Standard x64 OS (build: 14393.3085).

Installed server roles: Windows Server Update Services, and IIS (for the WSUS). This is a WSUS server.

When i approving new updates in WSUS management console (MMC), or reclassify the new computers to the right category, the MMC often freezing. The movement of the mouse becomes fragmented, and after all, the MMC console window freezes.

After this error, the MMC console not answering, i can not close the MMC window, only i can kill the whole MMC console from the task manager.

I was set the WSUSPool private memory limit to 4,8 GB, but the problem was not solved.

All Windows Server 2016 updates are installed.

Server type: DELL poweredge T20 with 16 GB RAM, Xeon E3-1225 v3, etc.

Installed programs: VNC Server, and Google Chrome.

What can i do? Please help me.

• Edited by Mikeee1989 Friday, July 12, 2019 7:39 AM
    Friday, July 12, 2019 7:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Have you ever clean the WSUS server before?

If not, I guess you might need to do it.

Check out this link: https://xenappblog.com/2016/how-to-clean-up-wsus/

or this one: https://www.vanstechelman.eu/content/how-to-run-the-wsus-server-cleanup-wizard-from-command-line

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Mikeee1989 Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:23 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 4:49 AM
  • Hi. I had not clean the WSUS before, because i was installed the OS since 2 months ago. I think, it is not necessary yet.

With the installer disc i was do a DISM repair. (dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:WIM:E:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess) 

It seems, it the problem solved.

Thank you for help.

• Marked as answer by Mikeee1989 Tuesday, July 23, 2019 12:23 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mikeee1989 Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:23 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 5:53 AM
  • Unfortunately the problem has returned. Do you have any idea what can cause?
    The sfc/scannow command has not found error. 

I will try the built-in cleanup process from the WSUS MMC.

• Edited by Mikeee1989 Monday, July 15, 2019 9:23 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your posting here.

Since your query is more related with WSUS, I would suggest you have this asked in our WSUS forum for better answers. Here is the link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverwsus

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:51 AM
  • Hi. I had not clean the WSUS before, because i was installed the OS since 2 months ago. I think, it is not necessary yet.

With the installer disc i was do a DISM repair. (dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:WIM:E:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess) 

It seems, it the problem solved.

Thank you for help.

2 months? I think you should clean, the moment WSUS sync for updates there will be thousand and thousands of update that will sync to the DB. It depends to the number of OSes, products and other option you have selected.

https://www.vdberge.com/kennisbank/howto-wsus-cleanup-shrink-a-wsus-database-susdb-to-almost-zero/

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:11 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:48 AM