How can I stop alerts being sent to specific users who are part of an AD email group? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I’ve created a forum for a specific group of users.

I’ve set up an alert on this forum so that the specific group will be alerted when a new item is added.

This alert is based on the AD email group for those specific staff (roughly 80 staff).

The majority like being alerted but a handful of staff have asked if the alert is not sent to them.

What I need is a way to say “ Email all staff in the AD group XX but NOT John.Doe & Jane.Doe."

Is there any way this is possible without having to resort to purchasing a third party product?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can create a SharePoint Group, add intended users in that group and subscribe that group for alerts.

before that go to Site Action > Site Settings > Site Administration > User alerts and delete alerts for that group.

hth. 

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:40 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Hi majrmarcee,

I’m afraid we can’t achieve it except to create another group.

But do you use Exchange server as the email server?
    As far as I know, you can add a rule to stop emails sending to special users in a group in Exchange server.

If you are using other email servers or you need support on Exchange Server, please connect the related support team.

Best regards,
    Emir

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can create a SharePoint Group, add intended users in that group and subscribe that group for alerts.

before that go to Site Action > Site Settings > Site Administration > User alerts and delete alerts for that group.

hth. 

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Thanks Pratik. I did think of that but ultimately I'd rather not create a new group. 

Any other suggestions out there?

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi majrmarcee,

I’m afraid we can’t achieve it except to create another group.

But do you use Exchange server as the email server?
    As far as I know, you can add a rule to stop emails sending to special users in a group in Exchange server.

If you are using other email servers or you need support on Exchange Server, please connect the related support team.

Best regards,
    Emir

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:14 AM