none
Certain users on Windows Server 2008 R2 are forced to have single click functionality

Question

• Howdy,

I am having a strange issue with a few users on mt Windows Server 2008 R2 server.  Most users are able to interact with Windows Explorer as usual, single clicking to select a file and double clicking to open a file.  Some users have single click functionality active, and I am having a couple of issues:

• Some users are unable to access folder properties to change the radio button from single to double click.
    • Some users are able to access folder security, but double click is already selected and single click is grayed out. 

I have noticed that the users with the difficulty have numerous additional registry values in their user configuration at software|Microsoft|Windows|CurrentVersion|Policies, including and Explorer folder with ClassicShell set to 1.

Hopefully this has given someone enough info to help me debug the issue.  Thanks for your time!

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 2:51 PM

Answers

• >>Some users are able to access folder security, but double click is already selected and single click is grayed out.

Seems the Classic Shell is enforced though a policy. Check if you have any related group policy applied on these users. The policy setting that controls "Single-click to open an item (point to select)" radio button is under:

User Configuration>Policies>Windows components>Windows Explorer>Turn on classic shell

>>Some users are unable to access folder properties..

Not quite sure what do you mean by this. Seems the "Remove the Folder Options menu item from the Tools menu" is enabled. Please check on this policy:

User Configuration>Policies>Windows components>Windows Explorer>Remove the Folder Options menu item from the Tools menu

I would suggest you first run "gpresult /h C:\result.html" on user's computer, it shows you what Group Policy Objects have been applied and their settings.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:35 AM