none
install default project manager security template RRS feed

• Question

• The default project manager security template was deleted on Project server 2010. Where can i find this template and how should i re-install it? I had read something about installing via visual studio, but that didn't work (attempted by the site admin, so I'm gathering more details for them to try). Thanks.

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:00 PM

All replies

• bellsusan,

Once out of the box group, category, template is deleted there is no out of the box way to restore it back, other than manually re-create one.

You could provision new PWA site and use playbook utility to copy "Project Manager" security template from test instance to production instance.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22810

Make sure that you have taken proper backup of Project DBs, associated content db and farm  backup , just in case something goes wrong, since sometimes playing with playbook could be tricky

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Thanks. That's what I feared would be the answer. I thought I was copying the Project manager template using new, copy project manager template, remaming the new one to "project manager_new name". Would renaming that copy to back to original Project manager resolve the users that have this security or will I have to go to each user with the old project manager security and reapply the new one? I was going to go with that option before asking the server team to provision a new pwa with playbook option.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:19 PM
  • I thought you had delete existing template. If not and you just renamed it to something else, you rename it back as original. And making changes to the template wont effect existing security permissions on users unless you have made some changes to the template and applied to a group.

Using playbook always take a backup of existing configuration before making any changes , since there is no easy way to restore it back. Playbook backup file would come handy.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

I don't recall deleting the original project template, I just know it's not there anymore so someone did! All I was attempting to do was create a new template from a copy of the project manager template (checking some additional functionality for the new template) which I don't believe involves deleting the template, it just "clears" it - maybe I misunderstood how creating new templates works?. Once I discovered the original was no longer there, my thought was could I rename the new one I created to be named as the original "project manager" and be back in business without having to re-apply to the users that have the original project manager security template applied to them. That is probably too easy! I really appreciate your prompt reply and input. I'll close the loop on this when I get back to it shortly.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:50 PM
  • bellsusan,

Thanks for the clarification. I think playbook is the way to address your issue.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:42 PM