Lync SBS or Standalone Mediation Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Due to the way our servers and phone connectivity are set up, we have our datacenter in one location and we are getting a SIP Trunk via MPLS from our phone provider in another location (a few miles away.)  We do not have any PSTN connectivity currently in the central site.  My original plan was a standalone mediation server defined as part of the central site with 2 NICs - one connected to provider's MPLS network, the other connected to our internal network.

Is it possible to substitute the standalone mediation server for a survivable branch server (again with 2 NICs) and retain the same functionality?  We currently have no PSTN connectivity in the main site, so I was not sure if that would make a difference.

Connection between the 2 sites is via a 1Gbps private link.

Monday, December 5, 2011 3:50 AM

Answers

• The deployment of an SBA/SBS or neither depends on two things: number of users in the site and if you want survivability for users in that site.

If you want survivability for the users in that site (i.e. they can still make phone calls if the WAN goes down), then an SBA/SBS is the way to go. If you have under 1000 users, then the SBA is sized for this. Over 1000, deploy a SBS.
    Either of these choices should still be coupled with a Mediation Server pool regardless to support PSTN connectivity for the rest of the users in your environment. 

If you don't need survivability (you have confidence in the WAN), then just deploying a Mediation Server pool would be the right choice from a cost/sizing/management perspective.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @jm_deluxe
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Monday, December 12, 2011 1:50 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 3:33 PM

All replies

• The only thing the SBS would get you is local registrar capability, so if there are no users in the site where the SIP trunk will be terminated, there's no reason to deploy an SBS.
    It would be worth deploying a Mediation Server pool of 2 servers there for HA though.

If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

Monday, December 5, 2011 2:31 PM
  • There are users in the site with the SIP Trunk, which is why I was considering the SBS in the first place.  I suppose an ideal scenario would be SBS + 2 server mediation pool.  Right now I only have one server though...

Monday, December 5, 2011 3:13 PM
  • The deployment of an SBA/SBS or neither depends on two things: number of users in the site and if you want survivability for users in that site.

If you want survivability for the users in that site (i.e. they can still make phone calls if the WAN goes down), then an SBA/SBS is the way to go. If you have under 1000 users, then the SBA is sized for this. Over 1000, deploy a SBS.
    Either of these choices should still be coupled with a Mediation Server pool regardless to support PSTN connectivity for the rest of the users in your environment. 

If you don't need survivability (you have confidence in the WAN), then just deploying a Mediation Server pool would be the right choice from a cost/sizing/management perspective.

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Monday, December 12, 2011 1:50 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Right, I guess my question is can I use the collocated mediation role with the SBS for my sip trunk or must it be a standalone mediation pool.

Also I guess I should note I don't have confidence in the WAN because we've had outages previously!

Monday, December 5, 2011 3:36 PM
  • I wouldn't have a SBS providing PSTN functionality for my whole environment, it's not how that server role was designed to work. The SBA/SBS is there to provide failover PSTN capability in the event the primary PSTN ingress/egress point fails. Plus I think there would be complication associating your Enterprise Front End pool in the central site with the SBS in the branch site.

My recommendation is to deploy a Mediation Server pool dedicated for your SIP trunk.

Monday, December 5, 2011 3:45 PM