DISK DEFRAG RRS feed

• Question

• HEY , 
             I HAVE A DELL VOSTRO 3560... 4 GB RAM..  2 GB AMD GRAPHIC CARD... 500 GB HARD DISK HAVING A RECENT WINDOWS EXPERIENCE INDEX OF 5.0...MY LAPTOP WAS GOING SLOW.. DAY BY DAY.. SO WAS THINKING TO DEFRAGMENT THE DISKS... CAN SOMEBODY GIVE ME A ROUGH ESTIMATE FOR HOW MUCH TIME WILL IT TAKE TO DEFRAGMENT MY HARD DISK... WITH THE MENTIONED ABOVE CONFIGURATION .
    Monday, September 28, 2015 4:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Too many variables to know.  Things like how fact the cpu is, whether it is a SSD, or mechanical HD, how big the OS partition is, etc

Defraging will not change anything in WEI except maybe the HD performance and you run the risk of losing some date.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, September 28, 2015 4:19 PM
  • You DON'T want to defrag an SSD, not only will it not affect performance, it will also increase read/writes to specific copper conduits and burn out your hard drive faster.
    Monday, September 28, 2015 7:05 PM
  • Hi,

For your question, we could do more troubleshoot to increase system performance, for example: clean boot, clean up hard disk. More details about it, please refer to: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/optimize-windows-better-performance#optimize-windows-better-performance=windows-7

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Monday, October 12, 2015 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 7:36 AM