Missing Tracked Message Events for receive port RRS feed

• Question

• I am experiencing a strange problem concerning tracked messages events within my newly installed BizTalk 2010 environment. I am only seeing tracked message events related to a send port and not my receive port. I have setup a simple HelloWorld application which takes a message in via the FILE adapter and uses PassThrough pipeline. The file is routed to a Send port using the Receive Port name as the filter. The Send Port is also using a PassThrough pipeline.

When I run this scenario the message is successfully routed from my Receive Location to my Send Port location, however, I only see two event under my Tracked Message Events query within the BizTalk 2010 Administration Console; namely the Receive and Send events for my Send Port. I don’t see any events for my Receive port!!!

Environment:

BizTalk Server 2010 CU3, running on Windows 7 (64bit).

SQL Server 2008 R2 running on remote Windows 2008 R2 server

Separate Send and Receive Host instances as well as a dedicated HostTracking instance for TDDS.

Enable Group Level logging is enabled

Troubleshooting Steps:

I have tried the following steps to resolve the issue:

Changing the Receive pipeline from passthrough to XMLReceive

Enabling ALL message tracking on the receive port

Changing the Receive Handler from ReceiveHost to SendHost on my Receive port

I was first running BizTalk Server 2010 CU2, when I discover that there was a CU3 version available I installed it but this had no effect. So I see the same behavior in CU2 as CU3.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing tracking to only half work, or how to troubleshoot this further?

Many thanks,

Gary

Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:33 PM

Answers

• Its correct that only one of the TrackingData should have information (for a short period of time) the 1.x is for the DTA, while the 0.x is for BAM.

If find it strange that you cannot locate any information at all. Can you do one more thing for me, turn on tracking on the receive ports, and see if you get any more information in the tracking database.

Also run MessageBoxViewer to see if the tool can identify any issues.

If none of these give you any more infomration give Microsoft a call.

Best regards,

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway
    http://www.BizTalkAdmin.com |@tordeman

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:17 PM

All replies

• This was reported as an issue with CU2 regarding tracking data that was never moved.

1. Check the TrackingData x.x is there any data in these tables?

2. Can you try to uninstall the CU3 (and the rest you got from CU2) and see if the tracking works then, if it does I would adivce you take contact with Microsoft Support.

Best regards

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway

Friday, December 9, 2011 7:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Tord.

It will be Tuesday before I can check the TrackingData x.x tables like you suggested, but I will definitely do so when I am back on site.

I am a bit confused about the CU3/CU2 comment. It sounds like it is an issue with CU2 from your opening line. Should I not then uninstall CU3 and CU2? I have seen the problem for both CU2 and CU3 while testing.

Thanks again,

Gary

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Hi again Gary!

Maybe that sentence made more sense in my head then here.

A couple of weeks ago someone had a similar issue as you report (and posted it here in the forums) His issue was that no tracking occured at all. After that user contacted Microsoft and created an incient towards them they confirmed it as a bug, I though CU3 would solve it, but it seems like it maybe brought a new problems with it. It is very strange that you only get information into tracking from the send port and not from the Receive port.

You can also take a quick look into the BizTralkDTADb database and look at the inOutEvents and see if you can locate the receive port there. Best of luck!

Best regards

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Thanks Tord, that makes sense.

I did happen to check out the MessageInOutEvents table in the  BizTalkDTADb database, only the tracked events from the Send port were written to this table. 

On Tuesday I will try testing with CU3 and CU2 uninstalled and see if that solves my problem.

Cheers,

Gary

Friday, December 9, 2011 10:38 AM
  • It sure looks like it could be a bug in CU3 as well, I've tried this sevral times before (to reproduce this error) myself, setting up Biztalk 2010 on windows 7 with a windows server 2008 r2 running SQL, and I've had no luck to reproduce this issue/bug. The tips above are the only ones I can suggest, but it sure sounds like some sort of bug. If it works after uninstalling CU 3 (and all the mess from CU2) try to just install the CU3 (no other CU's). If the error occur again create an incident/support case towards Microsoft. Remember to specify your OS (and maybe the HW). So they can investigate the issue, However if you solve it, or they come out with some "solution" let us know.

And for the fun of it, try to set up performance monitor to monitor the counters for messages in and out, and the tracking data size.

Best of luck Gary!

Best regards,

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway

Friday, December 9, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Hi Tord,

I tried uninstalling CU3, then CU2 and finally CU1 but I ended up with the same results each time, namely ONLY send tracked events showing up.

I discovered that the a View in the MessageBox database, [BizTalkMsgBoxDb].[dbo].[TrackingData], showed the data that is ready to be processed by the Tracking host instance and moved to the tracking database

Tracking data was only written to one of the underlying TrackingData_x tables of this View for the send events and not the receive events. I tested this by stopping both the tracking and send host instances. ?So it seems that my problem is that the receipt of a message doesn't generate any tracking data at all.

Using SQLProfiler I could see that the stored procedure bts_InsertTrackingData is only being called when a message is sent and not received.
    I couldn't figure out what triggers the stored procedure bts_InsertTrackingData ?to be called. I guess like you suggest I will request help from Microsoft support.

Cheers,

Gary

• Edited by gary152 Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:38 PM font issues
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Its correct that only one of the TrackingData should have information (for a short period of time) the 1.x is for the DTA, while the 0.x is for BAM.

If find it strange that you cannot locate any information at all. Can you do one more thing for me, turn on tracking on the receive ports, and see if you get any more information in the tracking database.

Also run MessageBoxViewer to see if the tool can identify any issues.

If none of these give you any more infomration give Microsoft a call.

Best regards,

Tord Glad Nordahl
    Bouvet ASA, Norway

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:17 PM
  • Hi Tord,

I actually already had enabled tracking on the Receive port itself and it didn't make any difference, the tracked events were still missing.

I have downloaded and run the MessageBoxViewer like you suggested. There was one critical error which I found strange:

BizTalk 2010 Dbs installed on SQL 2008 Need to have SQL 2008 SP1 or R2 !!

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64) Jun 17 2011 00:54:03 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 (Build 7600: ) (Hypervisor)

SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) is supported for BizTalk 2010 according to the documentation. I guess the MessageBoxViewer script just needs to be updated to recognise R2 (SP1)?

The only warning that was logged which might be related to this issue was:

Server <myServerName> Running in VMware Virtual Platform (Supported on ESX >=3.5) !

A colleague is also installing BizTalk at this moment so I should be able to determine if it is only related to my machine or if it is a more general issue with our environment. If it is environment then maybe something like VMWare could be a cause although it seems very unlikely to me.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Regards,

Gary

Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:02 PM
  • I had a similar issue with messaging only ports and the tracking. A brand new server for some reason had all the tracking for passthrough and xml pipelines turned off, hence nothing visible in the tracked events. I am used to this always being on by default.

Check this excellent article.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/biztalknotes/archive/2013/04/17/biztalk-not-tracking-data.aspx

Nikolai Blackie Adaptiv Integration

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:34 AM