none
Disabling the "New Project" permission effects editing exiting project ! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to disallow "Create New Project" for the team member but I still want them only to "Open" the project they are part of.

When I disallow "New Project", the team member can open their project, but some fields shows web part "can't be opened" messages.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi New_page,

First of all, playing with the security settings is quite a dangerous job. It should be done carefully and following some best practices. For example, I'd suggest to keep as-it-is the default security groups, so you can refer or come back to the out-of-the-box security model at any time. It could be useful in your case since the default "team member" security group logically doesn't have the "create new project" permission.

Then for your error message, we'll need more information: what error message? in which PDP? what webpart? which fields are you refering to? Then if you modify the security model giving to the team members group permission to create new projects, it could be tedious to debug.

Hope this helps and waiting for more inputs to provide you a more detailed answer.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I already created new security groups for testing purpose and i left the default security groups without any changes, so i can refer to them later.

For the error message, I will get you the detail in some time (i need to undo some changes i did).

But the idea is: I want disallow the "Team Member" from creating New Project, so they find the "New" button in the "Project Center" disabled. When block this option from their security group (by selecting New Project), the button was disabled, but I noticed they receive "Web Part Unloaded" when they try to assess project they have permission to.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:09 AM
  • Hi new_page,

The default "team member" group IS NOT ALLOWED to create new project in PWA (and cannot connect to Project Pro) so it correspond to what you want: the "new" button in the project center with the EPT list is grey out. 

Thus you can reproduce the default "team member" group permissions in your new group. But as we said before, unselect the permissions "new project" (and more globally ALL permissions in the "project" sections. Associate the group with the default category "my task".

Concerning your error message, check that the category associated with your group has the correct project center views. Also check that the category has the following permissions in the project section:

• View Project Schedule in Project Web App
    • View Project Summary in Project Center

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:49 PM