none
Change working hours from 8 to 7.30 hours RRS feed

• Question

• If I change the working hours from the default 8 hours per day to 7.30 hours, the duration displays as 1.1 days. If I change it to 7.50 (assuming decimal rather than minutes) the duration changes to 1.07 days.

I am changing the hours in the Project Options / Schedule / Calendar options for this project.

Also it seems immaterial whether I change the weekly hours at all.

I assume there must be a setting somewhere but I can't find it - please help! Thanks.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:08 PM

All replies

• The number of working hours should be in decimal. You'll also need to change the calendar (Change working time) allow only 7.5 hours of working time per day. (Change the Work Week).

Changing the working hours after creating tasks will not change the schedule alone.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:51 PM
  • In addition to Julie's excellent reply, it's work considering why this is.  Everything in MSProject is stored in minutes (inc duration).  Project doesn't really understand what a day is, so when you change from 8 hours (480 mins) to 7.5 hours (450 mins) MS project needs to fit an existing 480 min duration task into a day (now 450 mins), which is why it changes to 1.07 days.  As Julie says, change the working time in the calendar to match the working hours per day you have set, and to verify when tasks start and finish, change the default time to display the date and time (File | Options | General)

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:36 PM