none
Re-image Windows 7 Failure

Question

• Hello!

Hopefully someone can answer my question.  I am deploying windows 7 sp1 through MDT.  I am able to take a computer out of the box, boot it up to the .iso file, run the deployment wizard and deploy my image.  Works great!  Some my question and my problem comes in if I take an existing machine boot up to the .iso go through the deployment wizard fine, it then tries to run my task of re-image  and it fails.  It reboots to bootmgr is missing.  I understand that it has to deal with my partioning and formating the drive in the task sequence but I am not understanding why it fails or how to fix it.  I have messed around with the task sequence but have not been able to get it to work.  Please help.  I look around and it says to boot to the win 7 cd and do a repair but obviously I don't want to do that everytime trying to re-image.  Am I missing something obvious  ?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Rusty

Friday, July 29, 2011 2:59 PM

All replies

• Those existing machines that are giving you problems may have mulitiple partitions and

your task sequence isnt wiping the disk and creating one partition for the OS.

I would check your task sequence

Right click the task sequence>properties>choose the task sequence tab

In the tree view go to the pre-install>new computer only>format and partition disk

You may want to check the ztidiskpart.log or the bdd.log to see whats happening.

Its likely that doing a startup repair by inserting the windows dvd will fix this problem but you probably dont want to be doing that each time you image one of these existing systems.

So check the boot order of those existing machines by checking the hard drive and other drive settings in BIOS and ensure they are correct. The BIOS configuration tells the computer how to use a drive so incorrect settings can cause problems, including BOOTMGR errors.
    Note: There's usually an Auto setting in BIOS for hard disk and optical drive configurations which is usually a safe bet if you're not sure what to do.

Regards

~G

Friday, July 29, 2011 9:11 PM