none
Backup of exchange 2003 using NTbackup. Does it also backup the transaction log files before removing them. ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

We have an exchange 2003 server in a remote office that has never been backed up.  (I know this is stupid)

Do get an initial Backup done of the exchange server  Im planning on using NTBackup to the local drive. 

Does the NTbackup job of an Exchange Server also backup the transaction log files before removing them ?

The reason I ask is that The size of the Public/Private Information Stores is approximately 15GB.  The combined size of the Transaction Log files is 40GB. There is only 35 GB of free space left on the drive. 

Thanks for any responses. 

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:32 AM

Answers

• Yes, it should. I tested it and it removed all the log files.

You do need to run NTBackup locally and select Microsoft Information Store!

It will not work if you just backup the EDB file.

Milan Gajic

• Proposed as answer by Milan Gajic Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by JasonBlake7 Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:54 PM

All replies

• Yes, it should. I tested it and it removed all the log files.

You do need to run NTBackup locally and select Microsoft Information Store!

It will not work if you just backup the EDB file.

Milan Gajic

• Proposed as answer by Milan Gajic Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by JasonBlake7 Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

4. When you perform a normal or copy backup, the log file is rolled over near the end of the backup, after the databases have all been copied to tape. For an incremental backup, the rollover happens at the very beginning.
    5. All existing numbered log files are copied to tape.

----------from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Disaster Recovery Operations Guide

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:56 PM
  • thanks for the reply Robinson. 

The trouble is at this stage the server is running in a VM and has no local tape drive.  I wanted to hopefully just create a single bkf on the local drive and then archive this to a nas device.  Will the created bkf also include the 40gb of log fliles ? We have not got enough free space on the local drive to have a backup that contains the log files and info store.  

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:04 PM
  • the log files do not get backed up. logs contain all the changes since the last backup. so if you backup the information store, the log files up to that sucesful last backup simply get removed.

sidenote: you have to run ntbackup locally, but you can let it write directly to a network share (on your nas for example) 

Milan Gajic

• Proposed as answer by Milan Gajic Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:14 PM
  • thanks for the reply Milan. The exchange server has never been backed up. Thats why there is 40gb worth of transaction log files. I know this is bad but I think this was just forgotten about when the small office was setup.  
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:32 PM
  • yeah that is usually how it goes ... who cares about the backup! ... until something crashes. :-)

we consider it almost as important as the database itself, but then again the importance differs from one organisation to the other. 

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Hi Milan...

Backup Done. Worked Fine across to the NAS with no errors. 25 minutes for a 13GB Private/Public store. 

The logs were also removed as expected.

Jason.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:27 AM
  • another issue solved ;-)

good job

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:14 AM