none
Support and Compatibility of Group Policy Parameters configured on DC 2008 R2 for Windows Server 2012 R2 member server.

Question

• Hi All,

i'm working on a projet about GPO evolution to Windows Server 2012 R2 and i have a question about tools, methods and technicals skills for starting this project study.

the current environment is 4 DCs that running Windows Server 2008 R2.

We have only 8 GPOs with a multiple GP Parameters (110 configured /enabled parameters per GPO).

The goal is to study the compatibility of these 8 GPOs and their support on Windows Server 2012 R2.

These 8 GPOs will be exported and applied to WS 2012 R2 member servers.

I'would like to know the set of tools /methods to study the compatibility and support of these GPO on WS 2012 R2.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

i'll appreciate any help.

Thanks again.

Christianne.

Thursday, November 05, 2015 2:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You mean you are trying to export and import existing GPOs into Windows Server 2012 R2 from Windows Server 2008 R2?

I don't aware of any such tools to verify the compatibility issue for this scenario. Not sure the exact setings in those GPOs, however, based on my experiences, you will not encounter too many compatibility issues in this case.

The Group Policy feature in Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 only introduced the enhanced support in a few areas. Check this article for what's new in Group Policy feature in Windows Server 2012 R2:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn265973.aspx

Hope this helps, and feel free to post back if there is any misunderstanding here.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 06, 2015 8:29 AM
  • Hi Ethan and thank you for these informations.

I'm not importing /exporting GPO from DC2008R2 to DC2012 R2.

All GPOs are configured on DCs that running WS Server 2008 R2 and they will keeped on DC2008 R2.

But the current WS Server 2008 R2 member server will be migrated to WS 2012 R2.

So the goal is to study the compatibility of applying GPO hosted on DC2008 R2 to new WS2012 R2 member server.

Have you any idea about the compatibility issues /known issue about applying GPO 2008 R2 on WS Server 2012 R2 ?

Thanks again for your help.

Christianne.

Friday, November 06, 2015 11:41 AM