none
Microsoft Support Issues With DPM RRS feed

• Question

• I am very frustrated at the lack of support Microsoft provides to questions/issues posted in the DPM forums. It is very hard for me to recommend products to clients or my own company if i know they don't work properly. All I really want from Microsoft is be accountable to the issues and not give BS recommendations. Can someone from Microsoft please provide me help with an issue I posted in the “DPM Laptop Protection” forum? If I am told it’s a design flaw and it will be fixed in SP1 then I will wait but I just need something.

Brian

Sunday, September 12, 2010 10:57 PM

Answers

• Brian,

First excuses, this certainly is NOT the experience we want you to have and be assured this is taken to heart. I will track and try respond decently to your other post shortly.

One factor that I have to emphasize and I cincerely hope you can understand is that forums and blogs are great mechanisms but issues with any kind of impact that demands a certain timelyness to resolve should be taken-up with Microsoft Support Services. Those requests are tracked and escalated if there is a need to.

Yes, we do also track forum statistics and is the reason why I spotted your post but cannot compete with the responsiveness of Product Support Service Requests.

Thank you for reporting this.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:58 AM

All replies

• Brian,

First excuses, this certainly is NOT the experience we want you to have and be assured this is taken to heart. I will track and try respond decently to your other post shortly.

One factor that I have to emphasize and I cincerely hope you can understand is that forums and blogs are great mechanisms but issues with any kind of impact that demands a certain timelyness to resolve should be taken-up with Microsoft Support Services. Those requests are tracked and escalated if there is a need to.

Yes, we do also track forum statistics and is the reason why I spotted your post but cannot compete with the responsiveness of Product Support Service Requests.

Thank you for reporting this.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:58 AM
  • Ruud, don't take my response as a rant, but I have to somewhat agree with Brian.

I think we all understand that these forums aren't a substitute for PSS, but I think this "image" is caused by the amount of issues that DPM has (I can only refer to 2010, not 2007). Given how MS markets this product as a enterprise-class software, you would expect it to work right out of the box without having major issues and without having to babysit the software every day because jobs don't finish for whatever reasons or consistency checks fails or SQL autoprotection fails or resource enumeration shows non-existing volume GUIDs or ..... I could continue, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Part of this is IMO caused by the fact that DPM is so dependant on the WSB engine on the protected servers (in case of Windows 2008/Vista and later).

If we should call PSS support for every issue we encounter, we would go bankrupt soon (not kidding here). Luckily some are resolved with the help of people on these forums, but hardly all.

All in all, I think it was somewhat rushed to release and needs an SP or two to fix at least the most annoying issues.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:56 PM