User AD lookup issues in MOSS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In the beginning of time we had one domain, "ourolddomain", with accounts and Sharepoint would pickup the Display Name in the AD.

Then we were acquired and the parent company had "parentdomain". All existing olddomain users got a parentdomain user account as well. Full trust exists between the domains.

In the last 6 months, new staff have only been getting parentdomain\accounts. These people in Sharepoint only show up with their account name, in our case it is a user id, e.g. User12345, no Displayname info is shown.

For existing users like me it shows "Greg Roberts - User54321" (i exist in "ourolddomain")

What i am guessing is that Sharepoint is only looking in "ourolddomain" AD for this Displayname info. However it is quite happy to add the parentdomain\user12345 in.

>> How do we get the MOSS 2007 back end to use the parent domain ? and / or

>> How to allow users to modify the details as these show as greyed items when you try to update your profile ?

Thanks in advance

Monday, March 4, 2013 3:09 AM

Answers

• Have you configured a profile synchronization in the Shared Services Provider for OLDDOMAIN? How about PARENTDOMAIN?

From the sounds of it what may be happening is the data exists for the old domain users but you're not synching the parent domain.

The options for allowing users to modify data are configured in the profile properties section in the SSP, you can configure each property individually.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, March 4, 2013 3:03 PM

All replies

• Have you configured a profile synchronization in the Shared Services Provider for OLDDOMAIN? How about PARENTDOMAIN?

From the sounds of it what may be happening is the data exists for the old domain users but you're not synching the parent domain.

The options for allowing users to modify data are configured in the profile properties section in the SSP, you can configure each property individually.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, March 4, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Thanks Jason

I am no Sharepoint guru / or admin (we lost our expertise some time ago), but i can rummage around .

=> You won't have some url's to help ?

SSP = Sharepoint Shared Service Provider

greg

(i have temporarily set this back to unanswered so the thread will flag for the follow up question)

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:26 AM
  • Hi,

If Jason's suggestion is helpful, then i will mark his replay as answer. If you have any other questions, please create a new question in the forum.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:08 AM