Management pack best practice - custom attributes RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create a custom attribute.  If I want to reference that attribute outside of my MP I need to seal it.  I'm going to use that attribute to populate a number of groups. 

I don't KNOW that I'll ever need to reference outside the MP, and I could keep the groups in the same MP.  If I do I can keep it unsealed which makes it simpler to work with and I can use that MP for overrides targeted against those groups.

If I do seal the pack I gain the ability to reference outside the MP, but I may want to just keep the attribute in there and nothing else, using another MP for the groups. 

Not sure of what best practices are for this kind of thing or if I'm thinking too much around this.  I hear you don't want too many MPs in your MG, so I probably dont' want an MP for just one attribute.  I could keep a separate sealed MP to store all my custom attributes.

Friday, April 22, 2011 3:13 PM

Answers

• As far as i know there's no best practice to keep the number of mp's down, but every mp has a performance costs. So just dont download every mp, but just import what you need.

This is also totally unrelated to the number .mp files (1 management pack could be several .mp files), in fact i think it's a best practice to use more .mp files so you can reuse the same code in several others (e.g. library.mp).

If you don't seal and want to use those groups for overrides to other mp's (like SQL, OS, Exchange, etc), you need to store all those overrides in the unsealed mp that contains the group (attribute in same mp) or create the same group several times (attribute in sealed mp, so you can create a group in each override mp). This is definitely not a best practice. You don't want all overrides in 1 mp and there's a supported limit in the number of groups, so definitely consider to seal your group mp as well if you want to use the group for all kinds of overrides.

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:59 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 8:04 PM

All replies

• Put the attribute into a sealed MP. You'll find that you want to use that attribute in other places as well as deciding to have more attributes available for your custom MPs. Also, if you get down the road of putting that attribute into an unsealed MP and decide later to use that same attribute, you're in for a ton of work to move it to a sealed MP, rewrite your rules/monitors, etc. etc.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration"
    Friday, April 22, 2011 3:33 PM
  • As far as i know there's no best practice to keep the number of mp's down, but every mp has a performance costs. So just dont download every mp, but just import what you need.

This is also totally unrelated to the number .mp files (1 management pack could be several .mp files), in fact i think it's a best practice to use more .mp files so you can reuse the same code in several others (e.g. library.mp).

If you don't seal and want to use those groups for overrides to other mp's (like SQL, OS, Exchange, etc), you need to store all those overrides in the unsealed mp that contains the group (attribute in same mp) or create the same group several times (attribute in sealed mp, so you can create a group in each override mp). This is definitely not a best practice. You don't want all overrides in 1 mp and there's a supported limit in the number of groups, so definitely consider to seal your group mp as well if you want to use the group for all kinds of overrides.

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:59 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 8:04 PM