ProClarity Usage Reports RRS feed

• Question

• We need to create ProClarity usage reports to track which users access which pages of the book.  I did see a Username, AccessTime and GUID in the "Description" of the Event log in the Administration Tool. Is there a better way to get this information from ProClarity_PAS database by querying this data ? We would like to automate this report.

Thanks,

Sailesh

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:25 PM

Answers

• In the properties of the PAS Admin Tool you can turn on logging for both exceptions and usage.  Be aware though that this could have impact on performance, as logging all activity on the server can cause some overhead.

This will log usage to the ProClarity event log.  You could then develop a utility that would pull the information out of that log and use it as you wish.  One sample I remember seeing pulled the information out of the event log and built an AS 2000 cube with it, so that ProClarity could be used to analyze ProClarity usage.  I thought it was clever.

I'll see about getting that sample out on our blog.  It's a little dated, but it could still be useful in providing similar functionality.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:20 AM

All replies

• Hello Sailesh,

The extent of ProClarity Exception and Usage logging is found within the Event Viewer.  If you would like to monitor cube usage with a more informative tool, you might take a look at the following sample.  I have never used it but it appears to contain the relevent monitoring features you have requested:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms160921.aspx

HTH,

Amanda

Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

Just to add to Amanda's message the Acitivity Viewer only gives you a current snapshot of who and what is running on an AS instance.  More of an admin tool for killing sessions and connections.

I've seen custom apps for capturing the data, but it only captured who hit the main page.  So when you arrived at the main page, it would fired off some command and populate a sql table.

HTH
    Matt

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:42 AM
  • In the properties of the PAS Admin Tool you can turn on logging for both exceptions and usage.  Be aware though that this could have impact on performance, as logging all activity on the server can cause some overhead.

This will log usage to the ProClarity event log.  You could then develop a utility that would pull the information out of that log and use it as you wish.  One sample I remember seeing pulled the information out of the event log and built an AS 2000 cube with it, so that ProClarity could be used to analyze ProClarity usage.  I thought it was clever.

I'll see about getting that sample out on our blog.  It's a little dated, but it could still be useful in providing similar functionality.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:20 AM
  • Hi Ben,

We are trying to get usage data from the eventlog, however only local administrators are shown, queries from regular users are not shown in the eventlog. What is causing this?

Win2008 SP2, ProClarity 6.3

Thanks ahead,

Peter

• Edited by peter zsigmond Friday, April 30, 2010 3:37 PM System details
    Friday, April 30, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Anybody ever figure out why usage data is only shown from local administrators and regular users usage is not appearing in the EventLog? 
    Monday, October 23, 2017 5:16 PM