Patches downloaded but not installing RRS feed

• Question

• Guys

i have SCCM in the environment, but i have been using a dirty little batch file for years to use a second WSUS 2012r2 server in the environment without any problems, this is cron'ed on every box, all works well

net stop wuauserv
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v AUState /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v UseWUServer /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallTime /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallDay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v WUServer /t REG_SZ /d "servername_goes_here:8530" /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v WUStatusServer /t REG_SZ /d "servername_goes_here:8530" /f
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /detectnow /reportnow

however i tried using this on the script that gets kicked off after sysprep now, before the box gets joined to AD, and WU refuses to patch, meaning patches are being downloaded locally, but nothing gets triggered, tried deleting the entire "Windowupdate" registry, deleting softwaredistribution, deleting wmi repositories, etc, without luck

any ideas ?

Thx

Martin

Monday, May 4, 2015 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Martin,

Please try to add the following values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

• NoAutoUpdate
    • ScheduledInstallDay
    • ScheduledInstallTime

For detailed information about how to configure automatic updates with registry edit, please refer to the link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939844%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:15 AM
  • however i tried using this on the script that gets kicked off after sysprep now, before the box gets joined to AD, and WU refuses to patch, meaning patches are being downloaded locally, but nothing gets triggered,

Which OS?

What does windowsupdate.log reveal?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:23 AM
  • well, this is happening on Windows 2012 r2 so far

what i found is that...on the old way, meaning onboarding into WSUS with the batch file (cause i need different time windows for different boxes) after the box was joined to the domain worked just fine

however now i moved the batch file to sysprep time, so running this onboarding before its joined to AD, the wsus sees the new box no problem, but once you join to AD, and SCCM gets deployed, then it just refuses to patch, when it was working fine, the exact same batch file after AD join

anyways, since i dont need SCCM patching on those systems, i ran ccmsetup /uninstall, and now seems to be working fine

any ideas why the change of behavior  ? no idea why one method will work, and the other will not

Thx

Martin

Friday, May 8, 2015 2:25 PM