Problems Sending Emails to Hotmail Accounts - Rejected for policy reasons RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can assist me in getting in touch with hotmail to resolve some issues for me.  Basically I have my own business and I host multiple sites for clients, one of which has been complaining about not being able to send emails to hotmail accounts.  They get rejected for policy reasons.  Now he has had this problem from the off even though his domain and email were new, whilst no one else on the server had the issues.  However now MY email for my domain name is getting rejected also.  And to top it all off I work for another company a couple of days a week, and their email (which is hosted on fasthosts, completed different from mine) is ALSO getting rejected - and this definetely just started recently. 

This problem is driving me mad as I need to email clients, and my clients need to email clients, but if they have a hotmail account it means I have to log in to my hotmail account which apart from looking very unprofessional makes it really hard to manage my emails - and my clients have the same issues.

I would like to know why hotmail have started doing this, but the more pressing matter is how to get it sorted.  I was told by someone I need to get in touch with them and 'whitelist' the emails.  But I've emailed all the email addresses I can find for hotmail without success, and I really can't seem to locate a number for them.

Any help is much appreciated,

Laurie

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• Laurie,

Are you using a Smarthost?  Have you checked to insure your IP is not Blacklisted, www.dnsstuff.com?  Hotmails filters are blocking your IP for some reason so I would start with these two questions first.
    MVP Exchange Server
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 1:41 AM
  • Laurie,

Are you using a Smarthost?  Have you checked to insure your IP is not Blacklisted, www.dnsstuff.com?  Hotmails filters are blocking your IP for some reason so I would start with these two questions first.
    MVP Exchange Server

I think it is a Smarthost, it's a shared sever anyway - I use a reseller package with a company to host my domains and my client's domains.  The weird thing is it is only his domain that the issues were with, until a few days ago when my own business email starting getting rejected too.   And as for the other one for the company I work for a few days a week, their website and email is hosted on fasthosts - for some reason only some hotmail accounts reject emails, whilst we can get through to others OK. 

I can't seem to use that website, it just says unable to diagnose when i put in my domains.  If it is blacklisted with hotmail how do I go about getting this changed?  I've sent emails to all the email addresses I can find for hotmail but with no success.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:42 PM
  • Laurie,

Have you contacted the Reseller to see if they can provide any assistance?  What IP or domain is having the issue?  You really need to check if the IP is blacklisted as without knowing this we cannot proceed to troubleshoot further.
    MVP Exchange Server
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the following website:

http://postmaster.msn.com/Troubleshooting.aspx

You also could contact hotmail support for the issue:

https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl&ct=eformts

Thanks,

Elvis

• Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Friday, July 10, 2009 8:19 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:55 AM
  • Hi,

Please check the following website:

http://postmaster.msn.com/Troubleshooting.aspx

You also could contact hotmail support for the issue:

https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl&ct=eformts

Thanks,

Elvis

Hi,

can you explain whats the Erroe message

i thing its problem with SPF record
    Sachin Hodge
    Monday, July 6, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Greetings,

I have been having similar problems. Something just dinged on me this morning when I was "reporting spam" in my canada.com account.

Clever spammers have found a way to make their messages look like it is coming from my own account. Today, and previously I have been reporting these messages as spam, not even thinking that it might damage my own reputation.

I will be more cautious in the future, and if I am correct, eventually and hopefully I will be back in the good books.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:19 PM