Dynamics MP Comments and questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all
    I have deployed the new dynamics MP to my SCOM environment.  It's a good MP, almost no noise, but that is because  none of the rules are configured to alert.  It does the job well and so far looks like an MP that won't cause too much hassle

The big thing is to set the correct action account on the AOS server.  It's in the MP and should not cause too many people much stress.

So has anyone looked at enabling any of the rules to alert?
    And next of all on the DAX mp there  are two state views
    The first one Application Object Server says that my 3 DAX servers are monitored and are all healthy
    The second view Application Object Server Computers says they are not monitored but the two servers have a green tick in the third box.

I have looked at the MP in MPviewer and it looks like all the discoveries are on by default...  Any other experiences ?

Paul

paulk
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:53 PM

Answers

• I am a PM in the DAX group and wanted to respond to some of the questions raised here...

- The Application Object Server Computers view is for a group populator that groups all computers that have AOS instances on them. The group is not being monitored - hence the not monitored state for the group. The individual AOS instances are being monitored for availability. This is by design.
    - The rules in the mp are all availabilityhealth rules and not alert generation rules. So you will not be able to turn on alerts for them.
    - The frequency of the Computers Discovery is 12 hours and this cannot be overriden in this version of the mp. We will try to fix this in a later version of the mp so that the frequency can be overridden if needed.

~Raji
    • Marked as answer by S. Halsey Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:23 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Have installed the Dynamics AX 2009 MP in to our R2 Eval setup and it does pretty much the same thing, Application Object Server Computers is showing as not monitored, but our AOS Server is listed as being healthy.

Did notice that of the 3 discoveries, only 2 have a Frequency set for them.  The Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 Computers Discovery has a frequency of <blank>. Not sure if its meant to have a value there or not?

Haven't tried turning on any of the alerts yet, but there seems to be a fair few of them.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:24 AM
  • Hey Steve
    Yes its funny that, Im not sure if was the way it was palnned or not, maybe someone from MS will get back to us.
    I have a DAX consultant on-site and he is going through the rules now and is going to give me his opinion on what ones we should be alerting on.  Ill geep ya posted.

If anyone else has installed the DAX MP maybe they might post up there experiences here.

Paul
    paulk
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:07 AM
  • Hey guys, I've asked Raji from the AX team if she can post here.  Stay tuned.

Thanks,
    Justin
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:37 PM
  • I am a PM in the DAX group and wanted to respond to some of the questions raised here...

- The Application Object Server Computers view is for a group populator that groups all computers that have AOS instances on them. The group is not being monitored - hence the not monitored state for the group. The individual AOS instances are being monitored for availability. This is by design.
    - The rules in the mp are all availabilityhealth rules and not alert generation rules. So you will not be able to turn on alerts for them.
    - The frequency of the Computers Discovery is 12 hours and this cannot be overriden in this version of the mp. We will try to fix this in a later version of the mp so that the frequency can be overridden if needed.

~Raji
    • Marked as answer by S. Halsey Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:23 PM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Hey Raji and Justin

Thanks a million for the replys.  Its great to get some clarification on the points above.  Overall we have had a good experience of the MP, does the job and very limited noise, so well done!!

I have also discovered this post from Dilips DAX blog, its a worth a look for the rest of us...
    http://daxdilip.blogspot.com/2009/06/configuring-dynamics-ax-2009-mom-pack.html

Best wishes

Paul Keely
    paulk
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:21 AM