SCVMM 2008 Jobs hang on remote machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All.

I'm running into some problems using features of the SCVMM 2008 (Mainly with P2V and Migrating)

I've got 3 Physical machines, all Windows Server 2008 on a domain, all with hyper-V running VMs successfully. (Machines A, B, C)

I have SCVMM running on Machine A.

Here is my problem:

If i try to use the SCVMM (Running on Machine A) to make a "Physical to Virtual" conversion job from "Physical Machine X" to a virtual machine on Machine A everythign works great.

If i try to use the SCVMM (Running on Machine A) to make a "Physical to Virtual" conversion job from "Physical Machine X" to a virtual machine on Machine B or C the job hangs at:

"Make Operating System Virtualizable" 0% complete. (The previous Step of "Deploy File" is 100% complete)

The job doesn't timeout (I ran one all night) just hangs and if i cancel the job it just stays in the "Cancelling" indefinitely.
    If i go to the target machine delete the new VM and reboot the job will enter the "Cancelled" state.

So i thought that maybe i could jsut migrate the new VM from Machine A to Machine B, well that migration job hangs indefintely as well.

I Suspect this is a permissions/user accounts issue: but i'm using the same an administrator domain account on all these machines.
    I'm more of a Developer than an IT Pro so any help would be MUCH appreciated

LNH
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have any warning according hosts B and C in VMM?!! like host need attention..
    If this post is helpful, please mark it as such.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 7:46 PM
  • No warnings until i Delete the new VM and Reboot machine B or C

Note that i can not Export a VM to machine B or C from Machine A (i.e. no exports to network locations) i can of course export locally and machine A and then copy the files to B or C.

This restriction can apparently be overcome according to some other posts i have read (dealing with file and share permissions) i'm tempted to update the share settings and try again when i get the chance.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 11:09 PM
  • try this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971264
    If this post is helpful, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:11 AM