Double Notifications for Assignment RRS feed

• Question

• My users are getting two notifications whenever a Service Request is assigned to them. One is from the Cireson Notify management pack, which is the one I prefer to use. The other, I'm having trouble figuring out where it's coming from. I know what template it is using, but I can't find any configuration that specifies to use it. I've reviewed all configurations in Administration>Workflows>Configuration as well as subscriptions and can't find anything that calls the template. Is there something out of the box, that's configured by default? And if so, is there a way to turn it off?
    Friday, May 12, 2017 3:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

There is nothing that is turned on by default in the out of the box configuration that sends a notification.

Unfortunately it has to be something that has been configured in your environment and troubleshooting this can be difficult. 

It is helps that you know what template is being used. I would follow Stefan Johner's very useful blog post on How to check if a Service Manager Notification Template is associated to a Workflow or Notification Subscription

Stefan includes a PowerShell script you can run that will allow you to work out which subscriptions or worklows are using the template.

Then I would test disabling the subscriptions\workflows that use the template one by one while assigning a SR to yourself. 

If none of these produce a notification, I would then look at disabling Cireson in the same manner to see if this is being triggered twice.

You could also check the History on the SR to confirm what is changing when you assigning an analyst. This is just a check and may not show anything unexpected.

Hope this helps

Glen

Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

• Edited by Glen.Xapity Saturday, May 13, 2017 1:51 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, May 15, 2017 8:51 AM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 10:42 PM
  • Thanks for your response, Glen. I tried running the script, I got this error, below. I don't have enough experience with powershell to figure out how to resolve the problem.Validating...

At C:\Program Files\Common Files\smlets\Scripts\Get-SCSMWorkflow.ps1:51 char:61

+         add-member -pass NoteProperty IsVisible $IsVisible |

+                                                             ~

An empty pipe element is not allowed.

+ CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : EmptyPipeElement

The offending line 51 has a tilde (but it looks like it's a subscript, in the actual script) that seems to be the problem.

add-member-passNotePropertyIsVisible$IsVisible| ~

BTW, we only get duplicates on the initial assignment. Maybe I have one triggered for creation and one configured for change/update. I'd still like to be able to use this script, looks like a handy tool.

• Edited by Perkyier Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:30 PM An afterthought
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Hi

Do you have SMLets installed on the computer you are running the script on?

I think the TemplateObj variable is empty and is causing the error.

Regards

Glen

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 9:08 PM
  • The script includes a check to see that SMLets are loaded. I also executed import-module smlets without any error, just for good measure, and ran the script again. Same results. I agree, the empty pipe is a problem, but I don't know where to pipe it to.

Looked again, but still can't find what's sending the other assignment notification.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 2:05 PM
  • I removed the pipe character from line 51 of GetSCSMWorkflow.ps1 and then it worked. However, it told me

Template not used in any workflow or notification subscription!

Which kind of throws me for a loop, because we are receiving the notification. At the bottom of each notification template, I specify the template by display name. I'll have to go back and double check those.

I tried it with a known good template and it returned the expected information.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:36 PM
  • Could this be configured in a management pack, independent of subscriptions and workflows?
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:04 PM
  • Hi

Yes it can, but it would have to be a custom or third party developed Management Pack.

Regards

Glen

• Marked as answer by Perkyier Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:39 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 12:57 AM