none
What is "Replica in DPM Server" RRS feed

• Question

• Generally in other backup solution like Veritas backup exec, we just configure backup job and it starts storing data on storage disk or tape. I have some confusion with DPM

1. What is replica in DPM server and what is use of it?

2. If I don't configure it or set later manually and never configure it then what will be consequences?

3. What if I schedule back time and replica time in different different time , will this cause any problem?

4. What " Run a consistency check if a replica becomes inconsistent and what is ideal time if Enable it? 

5. If I dont enable consistency check then what will be issue?

Arif

Monday, April 6, 2020 1:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Answer: In Data Protection Manager (DPM), a replica is a complete copy of the protected data on a single volume, database, or storage group. Each member of a protection group is associated with a replica on the DPM server. A replica contains all the properties of the volume, including local recovery point settings, security settings, and sharing.

2. If I don't configure it or set later manually and never configure it then what will be consequences?

Answer: Before DPM can start protecting the data sources in a protection group, a replica of the data must be created. After a replica is created for each protected volume, changes to the protected data are transferred to DPM incrementally through synchronization, according to a set schedule.

3. What if I schedule back time and replica time in different different time , will this cause any problem?

Answer: No this won't cause any issues.

4. What " Run a consistency check if a replica becomes inconsistent and what is ideal time if Enable it? 

Answer: DPM automatically performs a consistency check as a daily task if you have scheduled a daily consistency check for a protection group.

You may need to perform synchronization with consistency check to repair inconsistencies between the data on the protected computer and the replica on the DPM server. You can schedule a daily consistency check during off-peak hours to ensure that the replica remains consistent with the protected data. A scheduled consistency check will only run if inconsistencies are detected during synchronization. Keep in mind that the performance of the protected computer may be affected while the consistency check is running.

Answer: If a replica becomes inconsistent, a consistency check must be performed or you will not be able to backup until the replica is consistent again.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by azahri miya Thursday, April 9, 2020 1:12 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2020 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Answer: In Data Protection Manager (DPM), a replica is a complete copy of the protected data on a single volume, database, or storage group. Each member of a protection group is associated with a replica on the DPM server. A replica contains all the properties of the volume, including local recovery point settings, security settings, and sharing.

Answer: Before DPM can start protecting the data sources in a protection group, a replica of the data must be created. After a replica is created for each protected volume, changes to the protected data are transferred to DPM incrementally through synchronization, according to a set schedule.

Answer: No this won't cause any issues.

Answer: DPM automatically performs a consistency check as a daily task if you have scheduled a daily consistency check for a protection group.

You may need to perform synchronization with consistency check to repair inconsistencies between the data on the protected computer and the replica on the DPM server. You can schedule a daily consistency check during off-peak hours to ensure that the replica remains consistent with the protected data. A scheduled consistency check will only run if inconsistencies are detected during synchronization. Keep in mind that the performance of the protected computer may be affected while the consistency check is running.

Answer: If a replica becomes inconsistent, a consistency check must be performed or you will not be able to backup until the replica is consistent again.

Best regards,
    Leon

• Marked as answer by azahri miya Thursday, April 9, 2020 1:12 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2020 1:55 PM
  • Thank you very much for your answer.

There is two option to configure replication 1. Over network 2. Manually

What is difference between them. Why do I need to make a replica after backup. This is really confusion in DPM, I have worked on Backup Exec extensively, there we can just configure backup job and schedule. After backup complete, you go and find the backup catalog on storage but here replica term is very confusing.

Arif

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 4:09 PM
  • Over the network means that DPM will automatically transfer the replica data from the protected source to the DPM server.

Manually means that you will transfer the data manually from the protected source to the DPM server by using removable media.

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 4:24 PM