none
Question on Logical Network Types

Question

• Hello,

I have a lab environment setup where I have two hosts connected independently to a pair of L2

switches. The hosts are connected to a tagged management VLAN with an independent subnet with a router-on-a-stick scenario where the router has a sub-interface for the VLAN. Then I want to go and create separate route-able VLANs with their separate subnets, my question is what is the best Logical Network type for this setup?

My initial thought is to use VLAN-based separate networks and set a network site for each VLAN and set the tags.

Thanks

Sunday, January 29, 2017 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Ben,

>>Then I want to go and create separate route-able VLANs with their separate subnets, my question is what is the best Logical Network type for this setup?

Do you mean for VMs?

It is up to your needs, you could configure VLAN tag on virtual NIC or on the physical switch.

What needs attention is the configuration on the switch port. If configuring VLAN on virtual NIC, configure the port as trunk to allow the traffic of all VLANs.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 30, 2017 3:10 AM
  • Hi Ben,

>>Then I want to go and create separate route-able VLANs with their separate subnets, my question is what is the best Logical Network type for this setup?

Do you mean for VMs?

It is up to your needs, you could configure VLAN tag on virtual NIC or on the physical switch.

What needs attention is the configuration on the switch port. If configuring VLAN on virtual NIC, configure the port as trunk to allow the traffic of all VLANs.

Best Regards,

Leo

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Yes for the Vms to then connect to, after creating the VM Networks.

Just looking for some assistance on what type of Logical Network to use for the existing networks.

Monday, January 30, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Are you using VMM? If so then either one connected network with multiple VLANS or VLAN pairs will be fine. It is all about management. If you have one connected network then you have a single VM network , if you use VLAN pairs then for each VLAN you get a new VM Network.

That is if I understood your question correctly.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Are you using VMM? If so then either one connected network with multiple VLANS or VLAN pairs will be fine. It is all about management. If you have one connected network then you have a single VM network , if you use VLAN pairs then for each VLAN you get a new VM Network.

That is if I understood your question correctly.

Thanks, yes using VMM. I have one connected network, one router and two switches on one broadcast domain, where I have subnetted the networks and assigned each to a VLAN.

• Edited by Ben Lavender Thursday, February 2, 2017 10:09 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:01 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Well, there is not a best solution for your deployment. You may decide on your own.

If you got any issues or succeeded in configuration, you may make a new post for help or share the information

Best Regards,

Leo

Friday, February 3, 2017 6:22 AM
  • Also, since you are using VMM, you might find more input from the VMM experts in a VMM forum, such as https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=virtualmachinemanager

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, February 3, 2017 1:54 PM