none
SQL 2008 Cluster crashes after install of DPM Agent RRS feed

• Question

• We're trying to install the DPM 2010 Agents on an Active-Active SQL 2008 Cluster running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.  After the install of the agents, as soon as we try to move a resource from one server to the other, the entire cluster locks up and crashes.  The only way to recover is to uninstall the DPM Agents and the cluster services come back online.

Two events that we see when the cluster locks up are:

Event ID 1230 Cluster resource "" either crashed or deadlocked.

and

Event ID 1146 The cluster resource host subsystem (RHS) stopped unexpectedly.

It appears that it is the disks that are unable to move from one node to the other. 

Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:08 AM

Answers

• Removing Trend Micro OfficeScan 10.5.1083 fixed the problem.  I think I've seen this before where the Trend Micro TDI Driver doesn't play well with other file system filters. 

We don't have the Trend Micro program installed in our Hyper-V cluster.  I'll probably trying re-installing the antivirus program and disabling the TDI Driver.

Friday, January 13, 2012 4:21 PM

All replies

• Which DPM build you are running (you can check that by clickling on the i icon just on the right of management tab)?
    Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Version: 3.0.7706.0

I was going to try and uninstall our Anti-Virus tonight and reinstall the DPM Agents.  Maybe there are too many file system filters on the disk? 

It just doesn't make sense because we are able to backup our entire Hyper-V Cluster via host-based backups of CSVs as well as 2 other non-clustered SQL Servers. 

• Edited by haasnuts Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:04 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Let us know if removing AV resolves this.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, January 13, 2012 12:33 AM
  • Removing Trend Micro OfficeScan 10.5.1083 fixed the problem.  I think I've seen this before where the Trend Micro TDI Driver doesn't play well with other file system filters. 

We don't have the Trend Micro program installed in our Hyper-V cluster.  I'll probably trying re-installing the antivirus program and disabling the TDI Driver.

Friday, January 13, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Any additional information on this?  We are also experiencing the problem of having our clusters crash with both DPM and TM installed.  Uninstalling DPM "fixed" the problem, but we really need to find out if we can have BOTH DPM and TM on our clusters!

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:14 PM
  • Both products have a file system filter driver and it looks like they are not getting along that well.

As there are others antivirus solution that can coexist with DPM without causing this issue I'd check with Trend Micro first for an update..

Friday, February 17, 2012 3:59 PM