Exchange 2007 Impersonation help RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are getting a CRM called ForceManager which is like SalesForce, this services is host in the cloud and they sa I need to enable Exchange Impersonation, what is this exactly and is it easy to do based on your experience?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb204095(v=exchg.80).aspx

They tech guy said:

The first one option is the impersonation role. The impersonation role is a type of role that you can grant to a user in Outlook Exchange. 

The positive side of doing this type of sync is that you can control the users that the impersonation role is accessing, also the tool would continue the synchronization although the user changes the password.

The second option is through the credentials of each user. We strongly don’t recommend this type of synchronization because, each user has to provide to ForceManager the credentials and those credentials may not be changed unless you inform again ForceManager's sync tool.

Any help guys I would really appreciate as I'm not an Exchange guy.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Exchange Impersonation is used in scenarios in which a single account needs to access many accounts. Line-of-business applications that work with mail typically use Exchange Impersonation. An application can be written to display mailbox data such as number of unread items, calendar, and so on. The application can use a dedicated service account to access multiple users’ mailboxes to display their respective data. Exchange Impersonation is a simpler authorization mechanism that is designed for use only within Exchange Web Services (EWS).

The following article describes how to create impersonated user,for your reference:

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/how-to-create-impersonated-user/

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Exchange Impersonation is used in scenarios in which a single account needs to access many accounts. Line-of-business applications that work with mail typically use Exchange Impersonation. An application can be written to display mailbox data such as number of unread items, calendar, and so on. The application can use a dedicated service account to access multiple users’ mailboxes to display their respective data. Exchange Impersonation is a simpler authorization mechanism that is designed for use only within Exchange Web Services (EWS).

The following article describes how to create impersonated user,for your reference:

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/how-to-create-impersonated-user/

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

Niko Cheng

Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  So how would a hosted company theoretically access our Exchange system this way?  Sorry I have ameeting so I'm just trying to get a bit of knowledge on this so I can ask them.
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

Any update ?

Thanks.

Niko Cheng

Monday, March 10, 2014 3:08 AM
  • Hi,

Eh, I'm waiting on an update from you about my last question.

Monday, March 10, 2014 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following articles:

Cross Forest Exchange Impersonation in Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1

Cross Forest Exchange Impersonation - where the rubber meets the road

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

Niko Cheng

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:45 AM