SharePoint Oracle Connection RRS feed

• Question

• We have a SharePoint 2010 environment and we got a requirement where in a list while creating new item there should be a search button in which the user would enter a unique id which should result in a connection to oracle DB and get the values for that unique ID in the list item after which some more fields should be added manually in the list item and saved, we don’t want to use any tools to connect to oracle so I was wondering where to start to connect to oracle DB and get the values to store them then append some more value to the list item.

D

• Edited by shrawn0909 Friday, April 20, 2012 8:24 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 8:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

Sounds like a job for BCS .  

Regards Bjoern

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:09 PM
  • I Agree that you'd use the BCS to maybe create one or many external lists that connect to Oracle, but the behavior you are describing sounds like a custom new/edit form thats customized in InfoPath. With InfoPath you can do things like click buttons to perform lookups and bring back information and include it in the item.

Please mark my response as an answer if appropriate.
    Learn.SharePoint.com

Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:38 AM
  • @Learn.sharepoint.com, so you are saying I should use a custom infopath form to get the data from oracle database and not BCS, also is BCS a free download from microsoft does it cost any licensing?

D

Monday, April 23, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Hey,

As shrawn is saying,You can easily use Business data connectivity.

But can you please elaborate your question some more :)

"The Only Way To Get Smarter Is By Playing A Smarter Opponent"

Monday, April 23, 2012 2:35 PM
  • sure, the requirement goes like this

In a sharepoint list when I click on new item, there should be a form where few of the fields are entered manually and few of the fields should be retrieved from an oracle database(there should be a getvalues button or something like that to get some fields from oracle database upon entering a unique ID)and then the form should be saved as a list item in sharepoint list, so my question is whats the easiest way to do this without any third party tools?

Thanks,

D

• Edited by shrawn0909 Monday, April 23, 2012 2:43 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 2:42 PM