Integration of SCCM in another forest RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a standalone primary SCCM 2012  in Forest A with 10k clients assigned to it. Now my company is planning to aquire another company which is having 5K clients reporting to a different standalone primary SCCM 2012 in Forest B.  My question is, I wanted these two sccm setup to be managed from one single heirarchy preferable from Forest A. How can i merge them? Do i need to re-install the clients here or can I setup a CAS in forest A, make the primaries in both forest report to them. If this is the case, do i need to do any changes to the clients in Forest B?

Regards

AKP

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No you cannot merge them, you cannot migrate two primary sites to a new CAS. what you can do in ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 in add a CAS to and existing primary but not migrate an existing primary to that CAS.

So the scenario you face is to use the bulitin Migration feature in Configuration Manager 2012 Sp1 (it requires sp1) and migrate packages/programs and all the objects you need to either a new Primary site or one of the existing ones and use that in the future. After that you reassign the clients to the new site.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Monday, February 10, 2014 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No you cannot merge them, you cannot migrate two primary sites to a new CAS. what you can do in ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 in add a CAS to and existing primary but not migrate an existing primary to that CAS.

So the scenario you face is to use the bulitin Migration feature in Configuration Manager 2012 Sp1 (it requires sp1) and migrate packages/programs and all the objects you need to either a new Primary site or one of the existing ones and use that in the future. After that you reassign the clients to the new site.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Monday, February 10, 2014 1:50 PM
  • By Re-assigning the clients from another forest to a new primary in a different forest will work. Or after migrating all the objects(collecitons,packages, advertisemnts), do i need to re-install the client?
    Friday, February 14, 2014 8:15 AM
  • Yes, you can reassign them, but that would be a manual one by one process. Reinstalling the client would probably be quicker and easier and yes you can use the migration tools to migrate collections, packages, apps, etc. assuming the sites are at SP1 or R2.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Friday, February 14, 2014 4:41 PM