Blank notification icons issue in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I manage many machines running Windows 7 (with and without SP1) and experience a very strange problem in the notification area.

Some of the icons goes blank - meanning, the area they suppose to be in is present but there is no icon. Moreover, there's no left/right click activity.

After some research over the internet I found 2 solutions that do resolve this issue but it only restores the icons to their true defaults:

1. Delete the IconCache.db file

• Enter cmd as admin
    • Kill explorer process: taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    • Navigate to %userprofile%\appdata\local
    • Delete IconCache.db file: DEL IconCache.db /a /y
    • Start the explorer process

This Solution does not allways works instantly - if it doesn't, just restart your system.

2. Remove some registry entries

• Start cmd as admin
    • taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
    • reg DELETE "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify" /v "PastIconsStream" /f
    • reg DELETE "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify" /v "IconStreams" /f
    • start explorer.exe

This solution should work instantly.

As I said before the problem with these solutions is that it will revert all icons to defaults.

I manage many as 1000 pcs running Windows 7 so I have written a script that does these operations, but few machines need a constant reconfiguration of the notification area for some applications (The users complain about comfortability when icons are hidden).

I know it is possible to just display all icons in the notification area, however, if the user has so many icons it still the comfortability issue.

So my question is -

Is it possible to customize the notification icons using script?

With Regards,

Pavel Rozenberg.

Friday, May 4, 2012 10:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you post your issue in Script Center for further assistance.

Script Center

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/scripting

Here is one related discussion can help you.

Windows 7 notification icons

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/e7aaeb05-3254-44b9-8f30-7fbaf7c60033

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:27 AM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Thank you very much. I've been searching and searching for a solution to this, and coming up with nothing useful, just finding the same old "Check Notification Area Icons control panel and unhide it" advice which is useless and does not solve the problem.

There IS an unclickable "blank space" for the wireless networking notification icon. Hiding the network icon hides the "blank space", and making it visible again just makes the "blank space" reappear. Doh.

It's too bad nobody else seems to recognize how valuable your contribution is, but you get my upvote.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:21 PM