Exchange Management Console RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have Exchange Server 2007 sp1 installed on Windows 2003 server. The server is configured to be a Domain Controller itself.  Server's Name is let say Server-A

I also have another server let say Server-B which acts as a Client's DATA Server , which is also a secondary domain controller.

Few months ago we installed exchange SERVER 2007 SP1 (NO LICENSE KEY USED) on a new SERVER (SERVER - C ) making it also a secondary domain controller. 

Now, whenver I run Exchange Management Console in Serve-A, there comes a pop up which says :
    "If you have a product key, select the Enter Product Key action on the server work center action pane. If you do not have a product key, see ...... ..... ... "  
    Server-C is shown with xx days remaining.

Obviously, the dialouge box is showing because I have not entered the license key. Now my question is :

Can I use the license key which I have used for Server-A. We have only one licensed key.
    Secondly, how do I remove SERVER-C from the Server Configuration zone under Exchange Management Console Action Pane without any side effects?

Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

What is the role of the Server C in the Domain. Is it like the mailbox or CAS or HT? If this is the part of the same org you can use the same key.

If the server C is not getting used any ways, instead of putting keys and building more server's unnecessairily, i will recommend to take that server down.

Unistall exchange, demote it as a DC (if you dont want that) and then take it out of the domain.
    Raj
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply !

Well Server-C was set up so that we can make it as a DR [that means inside a same organization].  But I want this server not to be used at the moment. So, I prefer demoting & taking it out of the domain.

Sir,
    Since I am a newbie, I am really confused on how to demote & take it out of domain.  Do I need to do anything on dnsmgmt ?
    I believe this could really be tedious for you but hope to get your guidelines if you wish to.

Surya
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:01 AM
  • 1. Uninstall the exchange (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123893(EXCHG.80).aspx).

2. Reboot it .

3. Demote the DC (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123893(EXCHG.80).aspx) and take it out of the domain  

Raj
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:21 AM
  •  Now, whenver I run Exchange Management Console in Serve-A, there comes a pop up which says :
    "If you have a product key, select the Enter Product Key action on the server work center action pane. If you do not have a product key, see ...... ..... ... "  
    Server-C is shown with xx days remaining.

Obviously, the dialouge box is showing because I have not entered the license key.

Let say,  tomorrow Exchange Server's  Trial Mode will end in Server-C  and I didn't enter a prodcut key. Will this have any imapct or issue  on my Production (SERVER-A) environment ?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Yes, if you are not punching in the keys in the trial period, you need to take it off from the prodcution enviourment.
    Raj
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Hi,

For the license issue, please call the Microsoft Customer Service get the support.

Thanks

Allen
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

As of now, I have entered our license key. So, no nagging screen. But I am planning to remove Exchange Server from SERVER-C. So I might ping back with a new thread soon !!

Thanks for all your replies.

Surya
    Friday, December 18, 2009 7:38 AM