Underwater/Robot audio on Lync 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been working on resolving an underwater/robot/digitized audio issue with Lync 2010 (in a corporate environment).  I've done lots of testing and I only get this audio issue when I have booted my machine from within my normal office network.

Lync 2010 4.0.7577.4356 / Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

Various findings from my (end user) testing:

- If I boot at work, audio is underwater.  This is true whether hard wired or wireless.  If I then put the machine to sleep, drive home, connect to my home network, and VPN in the audio is still underwater.  However, if I reboot, connect to my home network, then VPN into work, sound is fine.

- In all cases, others can hear me just fine.

- I never have issues with dropped calls or other more obvious bandwidth symptoms.

- Other audio sources are always crystal clear (itunes or web videos), even when played back simultaneously with an underwater Lync call.

- Results are the same whether I use a headset, built in laptop speakers/mic, or even an bluetooth conference device.

- In all cases I have tested, others sitting right next to me (and so the same network) have no audio problems.

- If I completely remove audio drivers (Realtek drivers) such that Windows 7 does not even think I have a mic/speakers on the laptop, I can still plug in a headset and use Lync.  But the underwater audio behavior is the same.

** I am really at a loss.  It seems like maybe I get different Lync audio drivers loaded when I boot from the office network then when I boot from home somehow?  Any insights welcome.  I'm in a controlled environment so I cannot get to those public Lync test sites -- all my ports are locked down tight. **

Thanks.

John

Friday, June 7, 2013 9:01 PM

All replies

• Try to uninstall and reinstall Lync client. You can also try to download the Lync 2013 to have a test.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Lisa.zheng Sunday, June 16, 2013 8:44 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Lisa, thanks for the reply.  I have already had Lync uninstalled and reinstalled with no change in behavior.  Thinking of trying that again though.  Lync 2013 client is not an option as I have to keep to Corporate standards.

John

Monday, June 17, 2013 3:00 PM