none
GPO missing 2012 settings it seems (even after installing )

Question

• Specifically looking for(and we don't have it):

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\Always automatically restart at the scheduled time

Based on:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2885694  

(we need too configure this setting to prevent 2012 servers from rebooting when ever they feel like it)

I've downloaded and installed these: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36991

But I'm still missing the setting.

Any idea's?

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:12 PM

Answers

• I came up with a potential solution,

For 2012 servers I'm configuring the updates to download and install updates automatically every Saturday at 12:00am, BUT I'm configuring the "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" to "enable"  (we always have users logged into these servers, so this will prevent a auto-restart during business hours - {our current issue with 2012 servers})

Then I configured a scheduled task to reboot the server at 3:00am every Saturday (to ensure sufficient time for the updates to install). 

(I also disabled Automatic Maintenance from Action Center)

So my thought is, Windows Updates will only install at 12:00am on Saturday, the server will reboot every Saturday at 3:00am and allow the updates to finish, and should no longer reboot when ever it feels like it.

thoughts?

• Edited by JoeFri Wednesday, July 13, 2016 3:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by JoeFri Friday, July 15, 2016 12:36 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 2:53 PM
  • Good thought Wendy,  I'm holding off on the solution I listed for now.  I'm trying the new Templates for 2012 and Win8 that now have an option to "Always Automatically restart at the scheduled time"

I'm hoping this new template eliminates the need to use the potential solution I listed above.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:38 PM

All replies

• Found a good article that explains this behavior:

https://vnetwise.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/howto-dealing-with-windows-2012-and-2012-r2-windows-update-behavior-and-the-3-day-delay/

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:57 PM
  • I came up with a potential solution,

For 2012 servers I'm configuring the updates to download and install updates automatically every Saturday at 12:00am, BUT I'm configuring the "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" to "enable"  (we always have users logged into these servers, so this will prevent a auto-restart during business hours - {our current issue with 2012 servers})

Then I configured a scheduled task to reboot the server at 3:00am every Saturday (to ensure sufficient time for the updates to install). 

(I also disabled Automatic Maintenance from Action Center)

So my thought is, Windows Updates will only install at 12:00am on Saturday, the server will reboot every Saturday at 3:00am and allow the updates to finish, and should no longer reboot when ever it feels like it.

thoughts?

• Edited by JoeFri Wednesday, July 13, 2016 3:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by JoeFri Friday, July 15, 2016 12:36 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 2:53 PM
  • Hi,
    For me, the plan would be working.
    But if I understand correctly, you will leave 3 hours to download and install updates before rebooting. In my opinion and experience, I would leave more time and not sure if 3 hours is enough. What I have done before is to download and install updates at Saturday, then reboot machines at Sunday.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 7:12 AM
  • Good thought Wendy,  I'm holding off on the solution I listed for now.  I'm trying the new Templates for 2012 and Win8 that now have an option to "Always Automatically restart at the scheduled time"

I'm hoping this new template eliminates the need to use the potential solution I listed above.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:38 PM