How to turn off DNS RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old 2003 DC that i need to decom. Before i decom it i want to make sure nothing is hitting DNS on that server. Normally i would just shut it down for a couple of weeks and then decom it. In this case i cannot shut it down as it is running a program that has to stay running. Is there a way to turn off DNS so i can verify whether or not DNS is going to be an issue? I thought about just disabling recursion but this DC is authoritative so i was not sure if turning off recursion would stop all replies. Please advise. 

Thanks in advance

Jim Thomas

Friday, August 9, 2013 7:44 PM

Answers

• Hello,

stop the DNS server service on that machine.

Of course you should assure that all domain machines use another available domain DNS server on the NIC and the server to decommission is NOT Longer configured on the NIC.

If you don't use any self programmed tools/software that use this machine with its name it should be fine.

BUT OF COURSE this you MUST test yourself. And NOBODY here can guarantee this for you.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Edited by Meinolf Weber Monday, August 12, 2013 6:59 AM change
    • Marked as answer by jthomas777 Monday, August 12, 2013 1:23 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 6:58 AM

All replies