Storage: Basic Setup C:=130Gb D:= VData-500Gb

Pam Virt Win7

Robby Virt Win7

Current setup Issues

Server 2008 R2 64Bit, 32Gb

Two Raids setup in HotSwap SuperMicro case:

Raid 1 for 280Gb OS system drive using 2 SAS drives

Raid 5 for 500gb Data Drive using Four SAS drives

In Slot 7 installed one Three TB Sata Drive for Removable DPM Drive backup.

Computer Name: HyperV01.dmlaw.local

Roles Setup - Hyper-V,  File Services

Installed MS 2010 DPM on this server. Had to setup server as part of the Domain so I could

Install DPM. Need to use the Three TB Slot 7 Sata drive as a removable drive for DPM.

Need to setup Three Tb drive as custom storage so that it can be removed once a month and

Swapped out with another one for offsite backups.

There are problems as I see it in loss of data and doing restores with everything on one box. Can

Restore individual VM’s okay but lots of issues if the Hyper-V part fails or the whole physical

Server crashes and trying to restore system.

Questions to ask:

1. Error getting Features and Roles error on Virtual Server 2k8 R2

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservermanager/thread/feae5af9-bb4e-463e-9ded-5f646aa9379c/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

2. Only Domain Controller is a Virtual Srv 2k8 R2

3. DPM server requires it to be part of Domain Controller to install?

4. What problems restoring do we have with this setup. Everything on one PC?

5.  Problems logging into DC when it's not UP due to a Virtual DC can’t start up first.

6. What if I setup a second PC as a secondary DC or Primary, will this help.

7. Should I remove MS Server Backup Feature?

8. Having issues installing DPM Client into all Virtual Machines?

9.  Is the best answer to this problem to setup a separate machine for DPM for Domain Issues

Another consultant’s remarks: Eric's answer to number 6

That would get around your domain issue for DPM, but would still not protect you if the Hyper-V failed.  You'd essentially only be protected if an individual VM failed or had an issue (unrecoverable virus, accidently deleted file, etc).  He could be in trouble if the physical Hyper-V server failed.

It would essentially help with reboots, but would only help as far as protection if ONLY the DC VM failed.  If all VMs failed (meaning essentially the Hyper-V failed), it may not restore right even if there was a physical DC.

Really, the only way for the backups to be reliable outside of simple file restores or individual workstation restores is to have DPM on a separate physical
    Barefoot 218
    Friday, August 26, 2011 3:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Barefoot218,

I will attempt to answer your questions below in case you are still having issues.

Questions to ask:

1. Error getting Features and Roles error on Virtual Server 2k8 R2

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservermanager/thread/feae5af9-bb4e-463e-9ded-5f646aa9379c/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

I don't understand this question. Maybe you can elaborate more here.

2. Only Domain Controller is a Virtual Srv 2k8 R2

I don't understand this question either. Can you define further?

3. DPM server requires it to be part of Domain Controller to install?

DPM needs to be joined to a domain. It does not need to be a domain controller in fact it is not recommended to be installed on a domain controller.

4. What problems restoring do we have with this setup. Everything on one PC?

DPM can run as a virtual machine if that is what you are doing. It would be a good idea to protect BMR of the virtual host that everything is running on. It would also be a good idea to do a BMR of the domain controller if that also is the virtual host computer. I would also recommend protecting your DPM database and replicas.

5.  Problems logging into DC when it's not UP due to a Virtual DC can’t start up first.

Not clear here but if your domain controller is virtual you should run your host in a workgroup not a part of the domain. This will enable you to log into the host computer even if the DC has not started yet.

6. What if I setup a second PC as a secondary DC or Primary, will this help.

If you have a second PC I would suggest you use that to run DPM.

7. Should I remove MS Server Backup Feature?

You can leave Windows Server Backup. This will not cause issues with DPM.

8. Having issues installing DPM Client into all Virtual Machines?

Can you elaborate here on what the issues are? If there are errors it would help to post those errors here.

9.  Is the best answer to this problem to setup a separate machine for DPM for Domain Issues

Yes the best option for you is to setup a dedicated server for DPM.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hello,

DPM should be on a dedicated server however if you wish to perform ILR for VHD's being backed up you will need to install the HyperV role on the DPM server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634221.aspx

"You must have the Hyper-V role enabled on the DPM server to perform item-level recoveries. During item-level recovery, DPM has to mount the VHDs of the protected virtual machines."

Thanks
    Shane
    • Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:31 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 2:50 PM