none
Changing DPM replica to new server. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to replace a file server that is having problems.  I do not want to have to start the replication all over again so I am hoping there is a way to point the current replica to the new replacement server.

My Infrastructure:
    I have filer0 which is a server 2008R2 Cluster with to nodes (filer3 and filer4) and two iSCSI targets.  One of the iSCSI arrays is failing and needs to be replaced.  filer1 is a server running server 2008R2 with 24TB of data.  The new server filer5 is a server with 24TB of storage.  Currently filer0 and filer1 are set up as a dfs namespace with multiple shares.  I am using dfs replication to keep the two systems synchronized.  I have now added filer5 which is server 2012R2 and have added it to each of the replication groups on all of the shares.  I am using System Center 2012 R2 DPM and backing up some of the dfs shares from filer1 and some of the dfs shares from filer0.  Now that I am replacing filer0 I would like to put the backups that were on filer0 to filer5 and re-point the replica to the new server without having to start over again.  Is there a way to change the Replica path?

Thank you for your help....

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The short answer is there is no way to associate a replica of Filer0 to be a replica of another server even if the file data is identical.   What you can do, is associate an existing replica of old Filer0 to a new Filer0 that may have new disks.

Using Migrate-Datasource
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd282969.aspx

Migrate-Datasource is a command-line script that lets you continue protecting a data source (file, folder, volume, or share) to the same replica volume even after it has been migrated to a different volume on the same protected computer. You have to run the Migrate-Datasource script even if you have not changed the drive letters of the volume because DPM recognizes volumes by the GUID and not the drive letter.

So recovery steps would be.

1) Take Old Filer0 offline (disconnect from the network)
    2) Build a new Filer0 using same name and machine SID.
    3) Manually install DPM agent and run setdpmserver -dpmservername dpmname - then attach-productionserver.ps1 on the DPM server
    4) Make sure agent communication is OK.
    5) Perform a full restore of the volume using restore to alternate location and restore it on the new disk on the new Filer0
    6) Now run Migrate-Datasource.ps1 and re-associate the original DPM replica to the new volume you just restored the data to.
    7) Run a consistency check.
    8) Normal protection continues. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:05 PM