Remote desktop and mapped network drive within home network randomly loses connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

This is all on my home network - both PCs are local to each other.

I have a Win 8.1 PC which hosts all my media and documents, which I connect to via remote desktop and share a drive on the network. It has no monitor, so remote desktop is my main method of access.

Very occasionally, I will turn it on and be unable to connect to it or the mapped drive. In fact my main PC (Win 7) cannot find it on the network anywhere. But it IS on the network - I can connect via my mobile using Splashtop and I can also connect via TeamViewer from the main PC. This is not a solution though as I need to be able to access the shared drive on my main PC.

Both PCs use Bitdefender. Makes no difference with the BD firewall temporarily turned off. As I mentioned, sometimes it connects fine with no issues and sometimes it can't find it. In these situations, I can't even ping the Media PC's IP address (timeout), nor can the Media PC ping the main PC. It can, obviously, ping the router.

Usually a restart of the Media PC fixes this (although, that's annoying) - but today it isn't. The error that I get is 'The network path was not found' and for remote desktop 'Remote Desktop can't find the computer 'MediaServer". This might mean it does not belong to the specified network ..." etc.

I also thought it work mentioning that this is what comes up when using the net use command:

Status       Local     Remote                    Network
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unavailable  X:        \\MediaServer\D           Microsoft Windows Network
    The command completed successfully.

If I then muck around with deleting the share and reconnecting, it will sometimes reconnect. Today - no, can't find the network path.

Any help appreciated!

Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Cindernat,

I want to confirm that could you ping the network drive?

First make sure the advance sharing setting is correct. If you use the router, please also update the router's firmware from the manufacture's website.

Then let's check the required services are running properly.

Check service

-----------------------

1. Click Start, type Services.msc in Start Search bar, and then press Enter.

2. In the right pane, double-click Network Location Awareness service.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.

4. Go to check the Network List Service as well.

5. After that, reboot the computer in Clean Boot.

If the issue persists, open an elevated CMD windows and type the following commands one by one to reinstall your IPv4 and IPv6 Protocol.

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, May 1, 2016 8:56 AM