Mailbox owner permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to restrict a user's access to his own mailbox: for instance, could the сontacts folder be made readonly for the owner?
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 11:45 AM

Answers

• Its not possible for a mailbox user to revoke the permission from his own mailbox, but you can setup the litigation hold which can prevent his/her to permanently delete anything and you can get the deleted content from dumpster.

This artical can help you to understand the litigation hold.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2013/12/11/litigation-hold-and-in-place-hold-in-exchange-2013-and-exchange-online/

• Marked as answer by vic127 Wednesday, September 14, 2016 2:56 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 11:59 AM

All replies

• Its not possible for a mailbox user to revoke the permission from his own mailbox, but you can setup the litigation hold which can prevent his/her to permanently delete anything and you can get the deleted content from dumpster.

This artical can help you to understand the litigation hold.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2013/12/11/litigation-hold-and-in-place-hold-in-exchange-2013-and-exchange-online/

• Marked as answer by vic127 Wednesday, September 14, 2016 2:56 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 11:59 AM
  • Is there any way to restrict a user's access to his own mailbox: for instance, could the сontacts folder be made readonly for the owner?
    No, but what are you trying to do? 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:51 PM
  • Trying to organize a mailbox with a "shared" contacts. I mean that a number of users could synchronize this mailbox's contacts folder with their smartphones through ActiveSync using the mailbox owner credentials (agreed that no changes would be made at smartphone side). The problem is that some phones synchronize incorrectly (for example, creating duplicate items) and it's not easy to identify the problem device(s). I know there are commercial mobile applications which can do one-way synchronization but in my case it is not an option.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

For your expectation, I recommend configure mailbox folder permission with Reviewer instead of edit permission for all users, and add few users with edit permission if necessary.

More details about mailbox folder permission, please check the value of AccessRights parameter:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298062(v=exchg.150).aspx

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:59 AM