none
DPM server hostname change RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I need to change the DPM server name (hostname). I know that after this change will be required to perform some operations on the DPM server and protected servers. But I don`t know exactly what steps I have done.

How to change the name of the DPM server ?
    Please describe the required steps, step by step
    Friday, May 6, 2011 6:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Gregory

You can't change the name of the DPM Server. It isn't supported by Microsoft. One of the reasons is when you change the DPM servers computername the DPM database will not work since the servers computername will reside in it and depends on it.

If you must have another name on the DPM server you will have to:

• install a new DPM server in co-existance with the old one
    • Point over the agents to the new DPM server with the right name
    • If you got very large data you can preform a restore from the old DPM Server to the new

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Friday, May 6, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Please mark that I have answerd your question.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

• Marked as answer by Gregory K Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:23 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 4:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Gregory

You can't change the name of the DPM Server. It isn't supported by Microsoft. One of the reasons is when you change the DPM servers computername the DPM database will not work since the servers computername will reside in it and depends on it.

If you must have another name on the DPM server you will have to:

• install a new DPM server in co-existance with the old one
    • Point over the agents to the new DPM server with the right name
    • If you got very large data you can preform a restore from the old DPM Server to the new

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Friday, May 6, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Thank you very much for the information.
    Well, a lot of work waiting for me;)

Best Regards

Grzegorz Kolba

Friday, May 6, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Please mark that I have answerd your question.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

• Marked as answer by Gregory K Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:23 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 4:05 AM
  • Move DPM to a new server with different settings

You’ll need to install DPM on the new server, and then update protected client settings This procedure assumes that the old and new DPM servers are running the same operation system version, and that you’re using the same SQL Server settings on the old and new DPM servers.

Install DPM on the new server.

1. Update protected clients with the new server settings. To do this, run the Windows PowerShell cmdlet SetDPMServer.exe -DPMServerName <Name of new DPM server> on each protected computer.

2. Associate the client computers with the new DPM server. To do this, run Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 from the DPM Management Shell on the new DPM server. You’ll prompted for the DPM server name and the protected client (production server) name.

3. On the new DPM server create protection groups and add the protected computers to them.

You’ll need to maintain the previous DPM server until the recovery points from inactive replicas on it are no longer required.

The procedures above presume you’ll use the same disk storage on the new DPM servers. If you do want to migrate disk storage you’ll need to use the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 script, as follows:

1. Connect the new disk to the DPM server.

2. Retrieve the following information—

• List of the protection groups using the Windows PowerShell command Get-ProtectionGroup

• The data sources for each protection group using Get-Datasource.

• The disks that were connected to the DPM server using Get-DPMDisk.

3. Then run MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.PS1 script. For more information, see Run MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM in the TechNet library.

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog

Friday, December 4, 2015 9:53 AM