none
if specific policy need to apply laptops? how to implement site GPO

Question

• i have designed AD 5 site (location) blue print please assist me on few thing. i have created AD sites and services and created necessary OU like site A, Laptop, Desktop, standard user, admin user etc. second how to implement site GPO i am looking one example? it is necessary to link Domain GPO to Site? thrid question workstations means consist of all laptop & desktops OU's so if specific policy need to apply laptops?<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>>it is necessary to link Domain GPO to Site?

Usually, GPOs should be not be applied to sites. It is usually applied to domains and organizational units.

Regarding group policy on sites, the following artilce can be referred to for more information.

Group Policy on sites

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739283(v=WS.10).aspx

>>thrid question workstations means consist of all laptop & desktops OU's so if specific policy need to apply laptops?

There are several ways to apply group policy settings to specific computer accounts. Firstly, if laptops and desktop machines belong to different OUs, you can just simply link the specific GPOs to the corresponding OUs. Secondly, if both laptops and desktop machines belong to the same OU, you can use security filtering or WMI filtering to apply GPOs to specific computer accounts. Thirdly, if the computer settings are configured under Group Policy Preferences node, you can utilize item-level targeting to apply the GPP settings to specific computer accounts.

Regarding security filtering, WMI Filtering, and GPP ILT, the following blog can be referred to for more information.

Security Filtering, WMI Filtering, and Item-level Targeting in Group Policy Preferences

http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2009/07/30/security-filtering-wmi-filtering-and-item-level-targeting-in-group-policy-preferences.aspx

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 2:18 PM

All replies

• How to create desktop, laptop, standard, admin users OU's in different site & link to enterprise hierarchy for e.g. i have 5 remote locations so how GPO applies to remote site & how to link desktop, laptop, users OU to root OU's please give me some examples how policy will implemented

Monday, January 05, 2015 6:00 AM
  • Hello,

To create a Group Policy object that is linked to a domain or to an organizational unit, open Active Directory Users and Computers.

To create a Group Policy object that is linked to a site, open Active Directory Sites and Services.

In the console tree, right-click the site, domain, or organizational unit to which you want the newly created Group Policy object to be linked.

The Group Policy object will be stored in the current domain, that is, the domain that contains the domain controller that is being used by Active Directory Users and Computers or Active Directory Sites and Services.

1) Click Properties, and then click the Group Policy tab.

2) Click New, type a name for the Group Policy object, and then click Close.

Thanks,

Akshay Vithalkar; MCTS(AD) MCTS(Network Infra) MCTS(Server Vitrtualization) MCITP(WindowsServer 2K8) MCSA(WindowsServer 2K8) MCTS(WindowsServer 2K12) MCTS(ExchangeServer 2013) MCTS(Office365 Identities and Requirements) MCTS(Enabling Office 365 Services)

• Proposed as answer by Akshay V Monday, January 05, 2015 7:52 AM
    Monday, January 05, 2015 6:21 AM
  • How to create desktop, laptop, standard, admin users OU's in different site & link to enterprise hierarchy for e.g. i have 5 remote locations so how GPO applies to remote site & how to link desktop, laptop, users OU to root OU's please give me some examples how policy will implemented

Hi,

It's so simple what I understood from your quote.

Create different OU's as per your requirement and place the desired object into it.

Now open gpmc console --> create & link new GPO's

MS reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc738954%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Prabhu Mallick Monday, January 05, 2015 6:33 AM
    Monday, January 05, 2015 6:33 AM
  •  Thanks how to create remote site desktops, laptops, servers, users --admin, standard users OU's and how to link into root OU please give me steps for one real time environment scenario

Monday, January 05, 2015 8:11 AM
  • This link must help you : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc738954%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
    • Proposed as answer by Prabhu Mallick Tuesday, January 06, 2015 10:55 AM
    Tuesday, January 06, 2015 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

>>it is necessary to link Domain GPO to Site?

Usually, GPOs should be not be applied to sites. It is usually applied to domains and organizational units.

Regarding group policy on sites, the following artilce can be referred to for more information.

Group Policy on sites

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739283(v=WS.10).aspx

>>thrid question workstations means consist of all laptop & desktops OU's so if specific policy need to apply laptops?

There are several ways to apply group policy settings to specific computer accounts. Firstly, if laptops and desktop machines belong to different OUs, you can just simply link the specific GPOs to the corresponding OUs. Secondly, if both laptops and desktop machines belong to the same OU, you can use security filtering or WMI filtering to apply GPOs to specific computer accounts. Thirdly, if the computer settings are configured under Group Policy Preferences node, you can utilize item-level targeting to apply the GPP settings to specific computer accounts.

Regarding security filtering, WMI Filtering, and GPP ILT, the following blog can be referred to for more information.

Security Filtering, WMI Filtering, and Item-level Targeting in Group Policy Preferences

http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2009/07/30/security-filtering-wmi-filtering-and-item-level-targeting-in-group-policy-preferences.aspx

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 2:18 PM