none
windows activation process service not started up

Question

• hii,

iis not working in windows server 2008 r2 std sp1,

& its dependent service called windows process activation service could not start.

Its showing error:

widows could not start the windows process activation service serivce on local computer.

Error 2: the system cannot find the file specified

Please help!

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:21 AM

All replies

• Might try a repair install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/2255099/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-on-windows-vista--windows-7--window

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

Using “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files.

Besides, you may try to restore Machine.Config file and check the result:
    https://weblogs.asp.net/hosamkamel/restore-machine-config-file

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 3:04 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, October 23, 2017 1:52 AM
  • I started getting this error after a recent windows update. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling all the IIS and windows process activation service (WAS) windows components, I still received this error when attempting to manually start the WAS from Services.

After using Process Monitor to try to find out why the WAS wouldn't start, I found an error message that seemed to indicate that a file was required by the WAS:
    C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\Config\applicationHost.config.tmp
    (Process Monitor showed multiple NAME NOT FOUND errors when attempting to start the WAS)

I made a copy of C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\Config\applicationHost.config and renamed it applicationHost.config.tmp in the same directory, and then WAS started! From there, I could start IIS fine and my issue was resolved.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:51 AM