Save IM conversations in my email Conversation History folder RRS feed

• Question

• When "Save IM conversations in my email Conversation History folder" is checked our IM conversations are saved but only after a duration of time passes (seems to be around five? minutes).   

Is there a way to modify this so that ALL instant message conversations are saved? 

The problem is if the IM window is accidentally closed before the message "This conversation is being saved in your Conversation History folder" is displayed, the IM is lost.

Is there a setting to change the amount of time the Lync client waits prior to saving the conversation?

Jason Meyer

[IR26522]

• Edited by JMeyer2009 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:09 PM

Answers

• HI

these Messages are getting processed in MSMQ QUEUE in Front end server, it depends up the load of the server & also how much capacity of the server is. Also if you cancel the conversation quickly it will still save it in your conversation history. only thing if Lync client service gets stuck during chat and client seems to be like no responding mode, this way you may lost the conversation. but you cannot manually change the trimmings.  Also message duration to get saved in my environment is in Seconds , it depends upon the environment as I pointed out.

Hope the clarifies.

Regards

Zahoor

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:49 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:52 PM

All replies

• HI

these Messages are getting processed in MSMQ QUEUE in Front end server, it depends up the load of the server & also how much capacity of the server is. Also if you cancel the conversation quickly it will still save it in your conversation history. only thing if Lync client service gets stuck during chat and client seems to be like no responding mode, this way you may lost the conversation. but you cannot manually change the trimmings.  Also message duration to get saved in my environment is in Seconds , it depends upon the environment as I pointed out.

Hope the clarifies.

Regards

Zahoor

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:49 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:52 PM
  • Found that my Lync 2013 (15.0.4779.1001) version client along with Outlook 2013 (15.0.4779.1000) does behave this way and saves all Lync IM conversations.

But Communicator 2007 R2 version 3.5.6907.268 client along with Outlook 2010 (14.0.7153.5000 64 bit) does not.

Jason Meyer

Monday, December 28, 2015 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

Base on my understanding, it is better to use the new version of Lync and Outlook client. As Communicator 2007 R2 is the old version for Lync Server 2013, though it works with Lync Server 2013 but may meet unknown limitation.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:36 AM
  • Understood, appreciate the feedback.

Jason Meyer

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:12 PM