Desktop shortcuts for Windows Games and Control Panel Items Disappear on Restart RRS feed

• Question

• W7 Pro x64: All Upgrades to date (Not SP-1RC)

Desktop shortcuts for Windows Games and Control Panel Items Disappear on Restart

Also Folders on desktop move from my arranged position...Even tho auto arrange icons & arrange icons to grid are unchecked.

Fresh upgrade install due to other problems, but was doing this prior to upgrade.

Yes...It's a minor problem...but still a pain.

Any Ideas?

Micrometer 

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:49 PM

All replies

• Does the issue occur on all shortcuts on Desktop, new created items?

This issue can be caused by third party programs. I suggest you boot into Clean Boot Mode to troubleshoot.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program 

If the issue occurs in Clean Boot Mode, you may use ShellExView.  

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:37 AM
  • Does the issue occur on all shortcuts on Desktop, new created items?

This issue can be caused by third party programs. I suggest you boot into Clean Boot Mode to troubleshoot.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program 

If the issue occurs in Clean Boot Mode, you may use ShellExView.  

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Arthur Xie,

Your solutions don't work, and really do not address my problem.

Clean boot automatically rearranges the icons and shortcuts.

The links popup Mats-run program shows that multiple users are logged into the computer EVEN THO I'M THE SOLE USER!!!

I SUGGEST YOU RE-READ MY QUESTION

Micrometeor

Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:08 PM
  • OK, just as an update. Doing nothing seems to have solved the problem .... AT LEAST FOR NOW.

Very frustrating to fight a problem for a couple months ... then it simply disappears!

[ Maybe an update fixed it ?!?]

Micrometeor

NO IT DIDN'T .... THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING ON ALL 4 W7 PC'S

Recent shortcuts move upon restart .... or just disappear

• Marked as answer by Micrometeor Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Micrometeor Friday, November 26, 2010 9:25 PM
    • Edited by Micrometeor Friday, November 26, 2010 9:27 PM update
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:09 PM
  • OK, just as an update. Doing nothing seems to have solved the problem .... AT LEAST FOR NOW.

Very frustrating to fight a problem for a couple months ... then it simply disappears!

[ Maybe an update fixed it ?!?]

Micrometeor

NO IT DIDN'T .... THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING ON ALL 4 W7 PC'S

Recent shortcuts move upon restart .... or just disappear

I guess no one really has an answer for this problem, I've got 4 W7 PC's and they all do this.... sometimes when coming out of hibernate...sometimes when restarting... sometimes during normal use when you have a full screen and go to a smaller window.
    Friday, December 31, 2010 1:12 AM