32 bit drivers on 64 bit Print server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

My appologies...I know this has been discussed before.

I have a 64 bit W2k8 server with print services on it. I want to install 32 bit XP drivers on the print server to install the printers using GPOs.  I'm getting erroes installing 32 bits drivers and yet the wizard seems lets us choose to install 32bit or 64 bit drivers.

I've read through many threads is various forums, many saying to install the drivers from  an xp machine using \\printserver\printers and fax then clicking File, Server Properties and then  install the 32 bit driver. Plus it would seem that the 32 bit driver name must be identical to the 64 bit driver or else it wont work.

Is this the only way to do this? Is there a better way to do this?  Some people have mentionned to use Universal Drivers (ex: from HP) because you don't need to handle the 32/64 bit ____.  Can anybody elaborate on this?

Thanks,
    JesMat.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi JesMat,

I am wondering if you have tried the two methods mentioned in the following thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/8588ae17-a2cf-41ac-9cb9-895007a77a30

If so, does it work?

In my opinion, it should be a good way to deal with this issue.

Thanks,

Miles
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Friday, October 2, 2009 2:24 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:08 AM
  • Hi Miles,

Sorry for the late reply. That's pretty much what I was already doing. At least now I know I was doing the right thing.

I still find it odd that in Print Manager, the Wizard gives you the option to install 32 bit drivers but it doesn't work...anyway.

Thank you for your help.
    JesMat
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi, I had the same issue, running WS2008 x64 and lots of XP x86 clients.
    I found a recipe at Xerox that helped me through this problem.

Try this link: http://www.office.xerox.com/support/dctips/dc08cc0436.pdf

A bit complex, but the drivers was installed successfully both x86 and x64. And now I can deploy printers to my clients.

Hope this can solve your problem.

Eric
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Dag Monday, May 23, 2011 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:11 AM