mouse not working, hidden. RRS feed

• Question

• when i got back home last night i realize my mouse's scrolling wheel was not working. i could push it as a button as usual, but it would not respond to scrolling. as usual i did not switch off the machine overnight, only locking it (windows key+L)
    then i got up this morning and unlocked the computer with my password, and the pointer/cursor was not where to be found on the screen. the mouse was correctly connected as i checked, with new batteries. i went into mouse settings under "control panel" and changed several settings but that did not help. the "properties" screen was empty, and i could not find the mouse under "device manager". it is NOT a USB mouse.
    then i tried my backup mouse, a USB mouse. upon plugging it in windows returned "could not recognize hardware", and said it needs to install driver. after a little while a message window displayed "driver found but could not be installed"
    what could be something i can do? thanks.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Erestel,
    try this... (for me it`s working)

go to device manager and go to the properties of the unknown device. then click update driver.

click on install manually

next you need to browse to this place

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\

then find the folder that begins with msmouse open then select this folder

in the text box it would look something like

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\msmouse.inf_{Some Id Here}

{ Some Id Here } being the id for your computer

then click next / install

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:40 PM
  • thanks, but doesnt seem to work. under FileRepository, there are 2 folders starting with msmouse.inf, each having 7 files:
    component.man
    !8042prt.sys
    mouclass.sys
    mouhid.sys
    msmouse.inf
    msmouse.pnf
    sermouse.sys

when i hit install as you instructed, i was told
    "windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your hardware"
    windows found the driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempt to install it
    PS/2 compatible mouse
    "the system cannot find the file specified"
    any ideas? thanks
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:39 PM
  • Hello Erestel,

Some USB devices fail to work after the computer waking up from sleep or hibernation mode. But this kind of issues usually occur with the Windows Vista editions without SP1.

You may try to upgrade your system to SP1 if haven’t done that yet:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

Let us know the result if possible! Thanks!

Cheers,

Lionel

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:55 AM