Windows 2008 x64 printing to HP printers RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, we upgraded to Windows 2008 x64/XenApp 5, running in a Xenserver hypervisor, for all terminal servers in our environment. Per several other threads, there is mention of issues printing in Windows 2008. What we find is there are no model specific drivers for our printers, the HP UPD based drivers and MS In-box drivers don't improve the situation.

Our company has a range of HP devices: LJ 4000, 4100, 4200, 4250, 4350, p3005. All of which have horrific issues with spooler crashes upon logon, 100% CPU utilization, extreme delay in populating the deivces, etc. The Official HP stance is that these devices are supported under Windows 2008 x64/XenApp, but obviously they are not working correctly.
    We've run through several incidents with Micrsoft, and HP. The last step we took was a pristine build of a Windows 2008 X64/XenApp, no other drivers except the HP UPD 5.1, but it still makes no difference.

Has anyone had any success getting this configuration to work?

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:29 AM

Answers

• I've never had much success with the Universal print driver from HP.  I've not used the PS driver just PCL 5 and mainly PCL 6.

The drivers HP included in Server 2008 are better but there is a bug in HP code where the driver sets a registry key and the default value they enter results in a pop up telling you that the driver is not installed.   If you are hitting this you can edit the registry so the HP UI code will not determine incorrectly that it is not installed.

I have never used XenApp and unsure what that is.

Are there any windows error reports under that could point to the issue?
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER

Spooler crashes on logon can be caused by print drivers from TS redirected devices but it sounds like these machines are for TS use and disabling print redirection is not an option.  For a dedicated print server I alway disable TS printer redirection.

I'm not sure what you mean when state "extreme delay in populating the devices".   I'm assuming this is in conjunction with 100% CPU usage but if you could clarify that would be best.

How many printers and how many clients do you have?
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, December 14, 2009 2:19 AM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:14 PM
    Answerer