none
Formatting Variable into Currency Format INSIDE script RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I was wondering if someone could give me insight on why I'm running into some problems.

So, in my script, I'm trying to display my [decimal]$Variable into currency format ( $x.xx ) 

By looking around online, I found two different ways;

"{0:C2}" -f $Variable will create the appropriate output in my open shell

$Variable.ToString("c") will also work in my shell. 

Now my only problem is that despite numerous attempts and quadrouple checking that I typed it into the ISE properly, I can't for the life of me get it to display properly in my script. 

I even just tried saving the output into a variable before I put it into my write-host line.

Does anyone know what the problem is? 

Thanks, Phil

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:22 PM

Answers

• This is easier if you use string formatting and the -f operator. Example:

$TaxPayable = 33.25
    $TotalCost = 124.21
    "The tax payable is {0:C}, and total cost is {1:C}." -f $TaxPayable,$TotalCost

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:36 PM

All replies

• Keep in mind that we can't see your screen.

Post a short code sample that contains only the minimum amount of code needed to reproduce the problem. Also explain what output you want and the output you're getting instead.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:27 PM
  • $TaxPayable.ToString("c") | Set-Variable -Name $TaxInCurrency 
    $TotalCost.ToString("c") | Set-Variable -Name $TotalCostInCurrency

##########################Display the $TaxPayable and $TotalCost to the user###################################
      Write-Host "The Tax for the Book is $TaxInCurrency, making the total cost $TotalCostInCurrency"

This is my latest attempt to make it work. Sorry about the initial lack of information

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:29 PM
  • This is easier if you use string formatting and the -f operator. Example:

$TaxPayable = 33.25
    $TotalCost = 124.21
    "The tax payable is {0:C}, and total cost is {1:C}." -f $TaxPayable,$TotalCost

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:36 PM
  • Thank you so much ! 

I just wanted to mention that this only worked when the line was typed as it. When I had Write-Host before the line the script skipped it for some reason. 

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:44 PM
  • Write-Host ('The tax payable is {0:C}, and total cost is {1:C}.' -f $TaxPayable,$TotalCost) -fore green

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:34 PM
  • This too:

$msg='The tax payable is {0:C}, and total cost is {1:C}.' -f $TaxPayable,$TotalCost
    Write-Host $msg -fore green

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:36 PM
  • Don't use Write-Host if you intend to redirect the output somewhere. (Write-Host's output cannot be redirected.)

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:42 PM
  • Bill is noting that Write-Host was designed to send operator messages and not to produce persisted output.  YOU can send Write-Host messages and send output.  In the pipeline the output is passed through the pipeline but Write-Host is displayed on the console as it is executed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:52 PM