none
The network window not does list the network device

Question

• Hi

I have a LAN with two computers with Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise, a NAS and a network printer multifunction.

This network is managed by a hardware firewall. The two computers do not have any firewall and antivirus and all network devices have the same workgroup.

On the network window of a computer, all network devices are displayed immediately. While, on the other computer, the computer with Windows 7 immediately appears; however, the other network devices were displayed after a long wait.

Since yesterday, on this computer, only this network devices are no more displayed; while the other computer displays all regularly.

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Balubeto,

This is my configuration, and my computer can discover network devices normally, maybe you could refer to.

Automatic: DNS Client, Server, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Manual: Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, UPnP Device Host, Computer Browser

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Balubeto,

Please confirm with us that what you done before this issue firstly.

According to your post, network environment should be normal, just network devices display abnormally.

I suggest to check the connection between the network devices and your problematic computer, you could try to ping those devices on this computer to test.

As you mentioned, since the computer can discover other computer but can’t discover network devices, we should pay attention to the network discovery issue.

One thing we need to understand, for the computer, the protocols and functions used to discover other computer are different with what used to discover network devices.

Therefore, we need to check these protocols and functions on your problematic computer. Please go to Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings to check the settings.

Then, go to network connections properties, check the status of those services and protocols, such as File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft, Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder or Link-Layer Topology Mapper I/O Driver etc.

What’s more, some services also need to be checked. Open Run dialog and type services.msi, find out Network List Service, try to restart it, and those services which  exist dependencies are needed to check either, such as HomeGroup Provider and Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup.

There is a technet blog explains network discovery in detail is worthwhile to refer to.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2010/12/06/disabling-network-discovery-network-resources.aspx

In addition, there is an official article talks about how to troubleshoot problems finding computers on a home network, I think it can be helpful.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/troubleshoot-problems-finding-computers-on-a-home-network

Hope my clarification is clear. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Hi Balubeto,

Please confirm with us that what you done before this issue firstly.

According to your post, network environment should be normal, just network devices display abnormally.

I suggest to check the connection between the network devices and your problematic computer, you could try to ping those devices on this computer to test.

As you mentioned, since the computer can discover other computer but can’t discover network devices, we should pay attention to the network discovery issue.

One thing we need to understand, for the computer, the protocols and functions used to discover other computer are different with what used to discover network devices.

Therefore, we need to check these protocols and functions on your problematic computer. Please go to Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings to check the settings.

Then, go to network connections properties, check the status of those services and protocols, such as File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft, Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder or Link-Layer Topology Mapper I/O Driver etc.

What’s more, some services also need to be checked. Open Run dialog and type services.msi, find out Network List Service, try to restart it, and those services which  exist dependencies are needed to check either, such as HomeGroup Provider and Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup.

There is a technet blog explains network discovery in detail is worthwhile to refer to.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2010/12/06/disabling-network-discovery-network-resources.aspx

In addition, there is an official article talks about how to troubleshoot problems finding computers on a home network, I think it can be helpful.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/troubleshoot-problems-finding-computers-on-a-home-network

Hope my clarification is clear. 

The network devices pings work well.

The services mentioned above are all started and starting up with Windows 7. The Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup service there is not. Why?

The network devices using the SMB protocol.

I not do use the HomeGroup.

So how do I fix it?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Friday, December 25, 2015 10:48 AM
  • Hi Balubeto,

I received your message regarding your PC’s current condition.

There is no doubt that all your operations are valuable, we could get some useful information from them.

Network connection between your devices and your PC is OK.

That service called Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup on my PC is started, but when I stopped it, I can also discover my network devices, since you have started it, please keep.

The Server Message Block(SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol, and most Windows clients support at least six different dialects of Microsoft SMB Protocol, so ,your devices should use this protocol, this point seemed OK either.

Since this issue occurred recently, we could try system restore to fix it, please note save your important before restore.

Happy holidays.

Monday, December 28, 2015 9:46 AM
  • Hi Balubeto,

I received your message regarding your PC’s current condition.

There is no doubt that all your operations are valuable, we could get some useful information from them.

Network connection between your devices and your PC is OK.

That service called Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup on my PC is started, but when I stopped it, I can also discover my network devices, since you have started it, please keep.

The Server Message Block(SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol, and most Windows clients support at least six different dialects of Microsoft SMB Protocol, so ,your devices should use this protocol, this point seemed OK either.

Since this issue occurred recently, we could try system restore to fix it, please not save your important before restore.

Happy holidays.

Sorry but, in the Italian edition of Windows 7, as is called the "Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup" service because I can not find it?

I've tried to bring back Windows to a previous working configuration but my problem still there is.

Now, what should I do?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Saturday, January 2, 2016 9:21 AM
  • I am waiting for your answer.

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Monday, January 4, 2016 8:03 AM
  • Hi Balubeto,

At first, I appreciate your efforts, there is no doubt that all your operations are valuable to deal with problem.

Personally, it’s a pity that I have no condition to test Italian version’s Windows 7.

As you said, after system restore, this problem still existed. This situation seemed weird, since your computer worked fine previously, after recovered to the previous state, it should work normally. Please check the date of your restore, make sure that you recover a healthy version’s system.

In addition, I search online again, some users mention that some services also need to be started. Please start the following services and note your third-part software, some third-part software may interference your network discovery.

DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, UPnP Device Host, Computer Browser, Server, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper.

Best Regards,

Teemo Tang

Monday, January 4, 2016 9:03 AM
  • Hi Balubeto,

At first, I appreciate your efforts, there is no doubt that all your operations are valuable to deal with problem.

Personally, it’s a pity that I have no condition to test Italian version’s Windows 7.

As you said, after system restore, this problem still existed. This situation seemed weird, since your computer worked fine previously, after recovered to the previous state, it should work normally. Please check the date of your restore, make sure that you recover a healthy version’s system.

In addition, I search online again, some users mention that some services also need to be started. Please start the following services and note your third-part software, some third-part software may interference your network discovery.

DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, UPnP Device Host, Computer Browser, Server, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper.

Best Regards,

Teemo Tang

All these services must be set to Automatic or Manual?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Monday, January 4, 2016 9:28 AM
  • Hi Balubeto,

These services don’t need to be set to Automatic, it’s enough to start them and see the result.

Best regards,

Teemo Tang

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 9:18 AM
  • Hi Balubeto,

These services don’t need to be set to Automatic, it’s enough to start them and see the result.

Best regards,

Teemo Tang

So, is sufficient to set them to Manual and restart the computer. Right?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 10:15 AM
  • Hi Balubeto,

This is my configuration, and my computer can discover network devices normally, maybe you could refer to.

Automatic: DNS Client, Server, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Manual: Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, UPnP Device Host, Computer Browser

Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:51 AM