Sequencing...Throw Me a Bone Here! RRS feed

• General discussion

• We've been running App-V for nearly a year now...and every time we need to sequence an application, it's like pulling teeth. Even simple applications somehow consume 10+ hours. When we finally do get it going, it's typically through a "tweak that reg key, move that file in the post-sequence environment, set a modify permission on the read-only Q: drive...while chanting mmmmmmicrosoft at a low octive." This process is insane. (Thank you Aaron Parker and Znack for all your help BTW)

All that being said, there has to be some good training on the ins-and-outs of sequencing applications somewhere...yes? Posts like this from Aaron are very helpful, but still a, "figure it out yourself" road.

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/app-v-faq-16-where-can-i-find-information-on-sequencing-applications/

If you're a master of sequencing applications, how did you get there? What resources did YOU use? Do you know of any training available that goes beyond the basic wizard?

Thanks so much,

Jeremy

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I read the forums, use Process Monitor and look at anything that I might find (google).

Training classes are here;

http://www.loginconsultants.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=401&Itemid=342&lang=en

http://www.gridmastertraining.com/

Apart from more and more adding LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED to TRUE, always unchecking "enforce security descriptors" and having OS components on the OS - there usually isn't a whole lot that adds complexity.

I used todo most sequencing on a WinXP platform and then tested all packages on Win7x64 - to verify hardcoded paths and possible incompabilites with the platform. Any issues were never related to App-V, but were always related to the platform.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Edited by znack Friday, March 30, 2012 12:22 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 7:47 AM
  • It's not really about App-V itself, there's no substitute for knowing how Windows and Windows applications work. 

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:25 AM
  • I agree totally with Aaron and Znack. Also, I was originally a "packager" and had experience with the MSI tables, InstallShield and WISE. After taking the course (prior to when they added that junk about MDOP) so I got to learn troubleshooting methods as well. After taking the course, I setup a lab at home and spent many nights doing it and many days arguing with the wife about why she can't just install photoshop and has to use the sequence. That's my story.

BTW, don't take any of the training courses that include MDOP, unless of course you need it, because 80% of the course is unrelated to App-V and they are not left with and time to show you proper troubleshooting.  Find a course or trainer that focuses on App-V alone.

Friday, March 30, 2012 1:43 PM
  • I learned sequencing back in Softgrid days and the company I worked for had a policy which said. If you can't sequence it, you better have a reason. Coming up with the reason in many cases was the struggle so we'd spend days and possibly weeks trying to fix applications. Like Aaron said, you really need to know Windows intimately more so than APP-V for the troubleshooting part of things. I got myself into a set method for troubleshooting. Always ALWAYS check the app locally installed before troubleshooting in the virtual environment because in a lot of cases it's not anything to do with the app being virtualized. You could be wasting your time troubleshooting the virtual app.

My next step would be Event Viewer, the odd time it can throw up something. Next would be ProcMon. If I can't find anything with that. I'll try do a comparison by installing the app locally and checking things like environment variables, permissions etc.

After that I'd try installing the application local and having the virtual app on the same machine launch the virtual to see if it works. If it does, do a ProcMon and compare to the other ProcMon to try and figure out where the first stopped it's monitoring to pin point the issue.

After that deep dive disection, see if I can pin point what the app likes having local to make it work by a trial and error basis...that part is never fun though. Usually start with the registry, if that doesn't fix it, try the files. If one of them works try and remove one by one to hopefully find one file or one subfolder which the app likes having local.

I don't know if you've tried using them yet but AppDNA or ChangeBase can highlight some of the more common issues for you before you ever start sequencing e.g. drivers, hardcoded paths etc.

Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, March 30, 2012 10:11 PM