none
HELP ME PLEASE with- Microsoft Network Monitor RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am a student learning IT. I am currently studying the CompTIA Security + certification book and am having a problem with one of the exercises. The exercise requires that I install the current version of Microsoft Network Monitor so that i can complete the exercise. I installed Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4. The book then instructs me to launch the program and open a capture file by choosing

1. File | Open | Capture.

2. In the Open dialog box, open the FTP_Traffic.cap file located in the Labfiles\PacketCapture folder.

So that is when I come to the problem. For one, theres no folders at all. I tried searching for FTP_Traffic.cap and the Labfiles\ PacketCapture folder. I have received different messages depending on how I do the search, however the trending message is that the file has been moved and that the shortcut that I am trying to access will not work without the location. Then it asks if i want to delete the shortcut. 

Why is there no folder? Or why has it been moved? Does that mean that there is something fishy going on. I have been having some serious security issues with my computer. No one that uses my computer (my family) claims to have any administrative knowledge of how to even use a computer. So, why would this file be moved? And not accessible.

The book gives no advice at all on what to do if I have no folder as if it would be sacrilegious if it wasn't there. So, how do I fix this problem so that I can continue my exercises?  Is it possible that its a hidden folder and that I simply cannot see it? 

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:01 PM

All replies

• Since it is asking you to grab a file from "Labfiles\PacketCapture", it sounds like the .cap file is one provided by the certification book. The FTP_Traffic.cap file is not part of Network Monitor natively. Did the book come with a CD or give you a website to download lab files from?

I hope that helps,

Nash 

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you found a bug or want the product to work differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click the up arrow or propose as answer.

Friday, October 14, 2016 6:07 PM